Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
34K views 371 replies 31 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 · (Edited)
Dragonscale HM Ares and my lovely grizzle/irridescent VT Janey have been placed in the tank with the shock method after being powerfed frozen, fresh, and pellet foods. October 23. Please note Janey does not have fin damage, regrowth does not have color and I could not get a picture clearly of them.

Set up: 10 gallon with 3.5 inches of water heated to 82. Large IAL split in half. Live plants such as marimo ball, java fern, java moss, anubias... One fake plant, along with a hiding spot). Thermometer placed on the side, good distance away from nest. Brand new tank - came with the cardboard along the sides which I kept on to allow privacy :lol: I used cardboard and paper towel for the two bare sides, since my female tends to get side tracked :roll:

Expectations if the eggs/fry are not eaten: Wide finned veiltails.

Why this route: Allowing my male to gain some experience, as I will be using *hopefully* a halfmoon female after this spawn. People in my area like the larger finned betta - whether veiltail or not. Plus I would like to see how a grizzle/dragon turn out :)

October 23: afternoon
Male and female saw each other right away. She gave chase, he gave chase, she gave chase. Nothing big. He refuses to make a nest. IAL came in right on time today! Added a halved one in.

night: I scoop part of his nest from his other tank into the breeding tank. It works like a charm - his nest has doubled.

October 24: morning
Ares is content wiggling a dance for his lady, the nest has once again doubled. She remains stubborn, and a flaring fighter at that! She has no damage, however he has taken some damage to his caudal. He has been viciously chasing her, beating her up.

night: They swim around together, sometimes he flirts and darts after her, but it remains oddly calm - away from the nest.

October 25: morning
Fed them a small amount today. Male ate, but the female stared at the food and instead of eating, did a slow gentle determined and precise dance as if to entice HIM. I have never seen that before... She has followed him to his nest. Perhaps I get to see them spawn before I have to walk to work in an hour? Perhaps... When I come home I reckon I shall have eggs in the nest!! Or, so I hope for.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, let's hope Daddy-O is not an egg eater xDD But he seems really diligent for the nest, and very upset when I peek in >.> Hopefully he will be a good one (pray pray pray)

Fry foods: BBS, decap BBS, microworms, all to start.

#5 ·
Oh shoot, really?! Huh. I have never seen nor had a delta before - I assumed for the slight swoop of her anal fin - which means I got a deal when I bought her :lol: well in that case I would expect what you said - round tails and deltas. Cool!!

I'm at work now so I hope when I get home she is hiding and he is guarding!

#6 ·
I got home, and watched them for a bit. She was not being beaten away, but he did follow her around (which she did not like). She looked thinner but I was unsure. Unfortuantely the draft of me moving the top cover (white plastic) drifted part of the nest away (an unused part mind you) and from another part a tiny egg drifted out, and daddy caught it!

I have removed the female, who only has a minor tear in her caudal. And INDJO I see what you mean about her fins - wish I could change the title now :lol:

#7 ·
So, here is the female after the spawn - floating in another tank in a cup to acclimate (not that she let me acclimate her, she hopped out :roll:) Her colors have literally burst forth during spawning!

I don't want to bother daddy and the nest with pictures, I really am hoping for a good dad LOL

#8 ·
i agree, her dorsal suggests DT (doubletail, not delta) genetics...the actual tail splitting could be latent in her, or just very barely apparent. likely most of the babies will have her finnage and the dad's coloration, if my understanding isn't off.

#9 ·
sorry I keep getting DeT and DT mixed up.

I don't quite see the doubletail o.o can you point out where? :) if that is the case... Then my doubletail male and her should have some DT?

The offspring idea you mentioned would be neat. I love his coloring!

#10 ·
she doesn't show it in her tail, the gene might be latent in her. where you can really see it is in her extremely wide dorsal. look at these photos:

see how the dorsal is long and wide, almost a mirror image of the anal? that's a secondary characteristic that's usually present in bettas that bear the doubletail gene, whether their tail splits or not.

#13 · (Edited)
I can try to check! :) Her odd coloration on her caudal makes it awfully hard to tell so I took pictures and checked.

AS for the spawn... HE is NOT an egg eater!! Hoorah! Woke up this morning, turned on the lights and the poor daddy saw his eggs on the bottom of the tank, He hastily grabbed every single one (even checked the moss) and there is a group of them in the nest which I got a picture of. Eye-spy - can you see them? :)

#14 ·
I got some pictures, and cropped to show the caudal. I think I saw double? I have never dealt with female DT geno, or any geno. :/ I have only had combtail, veiltail, and plakat! And their caudals speak for themselves :lol:

#16 ·
Haha I would keep one myself! :lol: The dragonscale male Ares is doing great, definitely a doting daddy. I am debating removing him when the fry are hatched, mainly because I am not wanting to risk a baby eater :roll: I don't know yet! When I come home, I'll check on him again. I hate work ;( LOL! BUT they cut my hours so I guess it is not so bad in a way... I get to be home to feed and clean my fry tank :)

And yes her colors really came out! It would be neat, to see Mickey (doubletail) and Janey (doubletail geno?) breed, and the color would be interesting. Hopefully he is aggressive enough to take her on :roll:

#18 ·
:/ Here are the actual photos. I think the flash may have hindered but otherwise there would be no way to get a picture.

#19 ·
Glad to here daddy is behaving himself lol! I am so close to being ready for my spawn and finally have money to spend untill I'm in dept again lol! I love the females new colors so nice!!! Keep us updated in the meantime I am browsing the web for breeders lol it is entertaining! Can't wait to here what happens!!!

#20 ·
I expect (since they were close yesterday morning) I will have hatched babies tonight when I get home =D at the latest, early morning. AND I am off for the next two days as well. Today I get 20.00 so I may pop into the second hand store to check if they have aquarium heaters and/or tanks... Since a couple tanks are under quarantine until I do a thorough clean.

#22 ·
Well tomorrow I will be lol. Plus desperately trying to find a heater for the 5 gallon as the one I had quit. No heat from it! Found a chilled betta in the 68 degree water :roll: urg!! Lol. So everyone without heat moved upstairs :) Ryan accidentally cracked the 1 gallon bowl :/ so I'm down a count haha

#23 ·
Lol Guys often they just can't resist wrecking stuff lol I purchased a heater for my 5 gal and it doesn't work!! returning it today. 68 degrees is pretty chilled but it is nearing winter here I guess. Lol just realized it is snowing right now where I am. Hopefully you can find another tank.

#24 ·
Yep snowing here too xD I don't like winter LOL. I will also get a room heater for when I jar the babies

#25 ·
I think you might spend more than $20 lol. so mad it is cold wish it could always be warm but still snow once in a while lol but the snow would not be cold. Where did you get the female in this spawn?

#26 ·
The store here believe it or not. He has gotten more fancy ones in. I suppose she IS a doubletail geno considering the three bettas next or her were DOUBLETAIL males >< I didn't even think about that.

#28 ·
I will definitely tell you when I get home!! I have noticed my old lady Meagan her eggs were always falling from the nest and three males ate the eggs. Now Janey, her eggs stay in the nest most of the time - and have NOT been eaten. Which then I think I had a bad "egg" :lol"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.