Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
34K views 371 replies 31 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 · (Edited)
Dragonscale HM Ares and my lovely grizzle/irridescent VT Janey have been placed in the tank with the shock method after being powerfed frozen, fresh, and pellet foods. October 23. Please note Janey does not have fin damage, regrowth does not have color and I could not get a picture clearly of them.

Set up: 10 gallon with 3.5 inches of water heated to 82. Large IAL split in half. Live plants such as marimo ball, java fern, java moss, anubias... One fake plant, along with a hiding spot). Thermometer placed on the side, good distance away from nest. Brand new tank - came with the cardboard along the sides which I kept on to allow privacy :lol: I used cardboard and paper towel for the two bare sides, since my female tends to get side tracked :roll:

Expectations if the eggs/fry are not eaten: Wide finned veiltails.

Why this route: Allowing my male to gain some experience, as I will be using *hopefully* a halfmoon female after this spawn. People in my area like the larger finned betta - whether veiltail or not. Plus I would like to see how a grizzle/dragon turn out :)

October 23: afternoon
Male and female saw each other right away. She gave chase, he gave chase, she gave chase. Nothing big. He refuses to make a nest. IAL came in right on time today! Added a halved one in.

night: I scoop part of his nest from his other tank into the breeding tank. It works like a charm - his nest has doubled.

October 24: morning
Ares is content wiggling a dance for his lady, the nest has once again doubled. She remains stubborn, and a flaring fighter at that! She has no damage, however he has taken some damage to his caudal. He has been viciously chasing her, beating her up.

night: They swim around together, sometimes he flirts and darts after her, but it remains oddly calm - away from the nest.

October 25: morning
Fed them a small amount today. Male ate, but the female stared at the food and instead of eating, did a slow gentle determined and precise dance as if to entice HIM. I have never seen that before... She has followed him to his nest. Perhaps I get to see them spawn before I have to walk to work in an hour? Perhaps... When I come home I reckon I shall have eggs in the nest!! Or, so I hope for.

See less See more
#363 ·
I use tap water conditioner and that is it. I never add other junk in there. proper acclimation should do it :) Temperature is at 78-80.

#368 ·
All are grown up and at theit forever homes, the parents off this spawn are also in new homes, Ares is going blind, and Janey is not doing very well unfortunately, she had to be pulled from the sorority.

#372 · (Edited)
Out of respect to Sena and due to the lack of information beautifulbetta123 and I have, I am requesting that commenting on this thread ceases.

Sena was forced to get rid of her stock, which was divided among three members on this site. We do not have pictures, the fry are gone, and the parents have been rehomed. Sorry to disappoint everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.