Betta Fish Forum banner

Got a Betta three weeks ago...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Wolfstardobe 
#1 ·
Have a Pineapple VT betta that I got about three weeks ago and his tail keeps spliting. He's in a 10g all by his lonesome. First I thought it might have been the filter so I covered it with pantyhose, but it happened again. I had some plastic plants in there so I took all of those out. He still has his silk plants (only 2 :-(). I don't know why it's happening. I know its not fin rot (my last betta had cronic fin rot no matter what I did). He's eating okay and he has a bubble nest. Any ideas about why its happening?

#2 ·
It might have been the plastic plants. How long have they been out? Can you get any pictures? I'd treat with salt for now, :)

#3 ·
Does he flara a lot? Sometimes VTs pull fins apart while flaring.

#6 ·
That might be it.

He does flare quite a bit. My doberman, Alex, is rather inthusiastic about my bettas. My last one Trigger used to play with him through the glass... This one doesn't want anything to do with him (Alex has since stopped trying to play with him). My brother loves to make him flare with a bright red marble... I will tell him to stop.
The plastic plants have been out for four days now.
I will post pictures as soon as I can.

#8 ·
that looks like tailbiting to me. Treat with aquarium salt and high temps to promote healing and try to find the source of the biting. Some fish bite from too much light, not enough light, stress, not enough food,etc etc.. you just have to systematically go through all possible options until you find the trigger.

He may be bored.. try moving his tank decor around and maybe adding a ping pong ball for him to play with.. also putting a mirror up to the tank for a few minutes everyday helps too.

#9 ·
Thank you

Thanks everyone for helping. I'll try to go through everything. It's a real head scratcher, I've never had a tail bitter before. I would have never thought about a ping pong ball, I think I have one laying around somewhere. I'll keep you all posted on his progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.