Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin Rot and other Issues

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TaraHanon 
#1 ·
I just bought my first betta ever and i am worried that he has fin rot. Parts of his fins are curling and and he hasn't poofed up in a while. I put one drop if conditioner in every time a change the water and i put a few crystals of aquarium salt in there to. how can you detect and treat for fin rot?

also, i am looking for advice. my fish is in a tiny tiny bowl right now and i am getting him a vase, but people are saying that i should get a big tank (2.5 gal). I saw a perfect bowl that was really cheap and had everything i need but the only problem is that is 1/2 gallon.

Help anyone?

#2 ·
Since your betta is in a tiny bowl, it might be he is just cold. When they are cold they are lethargic. So when you get your new tank get a heater ... I'm sure it will help some.

#5 ·
I honestly don't think it's fin rot... I just think it's being in a small tank/bowl and water temperature. I'd see how he acts in the new tank.

#6 ·
Anything under 1 gallon is too small for a betta (unless it's temporary housing). I'm sure he is just too cold :)

#7 ·
A vase is appareantly not the best way to keep a betta. I would stick with the 2.5g idea. Mine lives in a 1g tank with filter system but no heater. It is hot in the house all the time so his water stays between 76 and 82 depending on time of day.

After having lots of issues keeping a healthy betta I learned that our little buddies do indeed require more sensitive care. At the very least a 1g tank with filter system. My neighbor uses a 5g fish bowl and a filter and her betta Archie seems to thrive. She also has a live plant in the bowl.

Hope that little ramble helps some.

#9 ·
I'm not sure if my guy's got fin rot or not. He doesn't stay still long enough for me to get a good look. He hangs at the bottom for a bit then shoots up and swims around like a mad man. I am wondering if its ok to treat for fin rot even if they may not have it? He came from a pet store and the water conditions didn't look all that great... Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.