Betta Fish Forum banner

How often and how much water to change?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
I've got a one gallon tank with one male betta with an air pump and light, and no live plants. How much water should I change and how often?

Thankyou in advance!

#6 ·
I'm new to the site everyone, so help a girl out please. :D

I have one male crowntail betta, humorously named Master-Betta. I love him, he makes me smile. I have him in a tank which started out as an anole starter kit. It's a 7 gallon I think, with a hood and a small yellowish light. I feel him Aqua Culture color enhancing pellets. When his tank loks a little dingy I put him in his cup and change out the whole thing and clean it squeeky clean, rinsing the rocks and scrubbing his Taj Mahal palace. I refill the tank with tap water (From Ft. Worth, its wonderful water) and add the stuff in the yellow bottle, hold on I'll go get it.. Okay it is AquaSafe water conditioner. One of my friends who has a 30 gallon saltwater tank and a 10 gallon freshwater has told me not to take out all of his water because the little fishies need some of that bacteria. And then he kinda gripped me out about my lighting. I know nothing about the lighting.

My main questions are:

How clean is too clean? For 7 gallons with a little bit of gravel, no plants (They died very quickly, my friend said because I have the wrong lighting), how should I clean his tank most efficiently?

I would like to eventually get him some tank-mates, because I think he should not be lonely. I like the idea of Tetras, but I don't want to mess with filters and air bubbles and all that what-not. Is this evil of me? What kind of buddies can I get for him who won't require all this?

I would like to put plants in there for him. I heard bamboo is awesome because it helps clean the water and the fish love it. I need a short bamboo that an be completely submerged because I have cats, one of them is always getting in trouble for jumping on top of poor little Master-Betta's tank.

#7 ·
I'm new to the site everyone, so help a girl out please. :D

I have one male crowntail betta, humorously named Master-Betta. I love him, he makes me smile. I have him in a tank which started out as an anole starter kit. It's a 7 gallon I think, with a hood and a small yellowish light. I feel him Aqua Culture color enhancing pellets. When his tank loks a little dingy I put him in his cup and change out the whole thing and clean it squeeky clean, rinsing the rocks and scrubbing his Taj Mahal palace. I refill the tank with tap water (From Ft. Worth, its wonderful water) and add the stuff in the yellow bottle, hold on I'll go get it.. Okay it is AquaSafe water conditioner. One of my friends who has a 30 gallon saltwater tank and a 10 gallon freshwater has told me not to take out all of his water because the little fishies need some of that bacteria. And then he kinda gripped me out about my lighting. I know nothing about the lighting.

My main questions are:

How clean is too clean? For 7 gallons with a little bit of gravel, no plants (They died very quickly, my friend said because I have the wrong lighting), how should I clean his tank most efficiently?

I would like to eventually get him some tank-mates, because I think he should not be lonely. I like the idea of Tetras, but I don't want to mess with filters and air bubbles and all that what-not. Is this evil of me? What kind of buddies can I get for him who won't require all this?

I would like to put plants in there for him. I heard bamboo is awesome because it helps clean the water and the fish love it. I need a short bamboo that an be completely submerged because I have cats, one of them is always getting in trouble for jumping on top of poor little Master-Betta's tank.
For a 7 gallon, I would cycle the tank, that makes cleaning the water a lot easier, you would only have to change our 10-20% of it a week. There are different methods to cycling, I'm sure someone else can help you find the best method. I'm not the greatest at all that.

There is a section on the front page titled "Betta Compatability" just search throughout the threads and you'll find many different species of fish that would go well with your betta.

I'm not too sure about bamboo, but I know you're not supposed to submerse the leaves in the water, so maybe some other type of low light plant would work. That way you wouldn't have to change your lights and you can still have plants!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.