Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Just Lying Around

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I've had my betta in a huge glass bowl for the past year. I never had a problem with him. Recently however, he showed signs of being sick. Sluggish, loss of color, etc. So, I started looking for info on the net and decided to take him to PetCo and have the fish lady look at him. She said it looked like dropsy.

Within the past 2 weeks, I got him transferred to a 2.5gal tank and have him on Maracyn-Two (spread-spectrum antibiotic) for the dropsy. He's still not very colorful, doesn't swim much, usually lays on one side or the other, and does not eat.

Is it just age? Should I be prepared to replace him? Anyone have any ideas? And please, if you're responding, know what you're talking about.

#5 ·
Well, I went and got regular Maracyn and a pH tester kit. I've never owned a fish before and people told me Bettas were pretty much self-sufficient. I picked up the Maracyn because around the gills my Betta is silvery, part of his tailfin has turned white. He still isn't eating and his breathing looks labored. He seemed to perk up a bit after yesterday and today's Maracyn treatments.

I also tested the water and the pH is off the scale. I was wondering if that has something to do with it. I was also wondering what the correct pH should be for a Betta and how much I can change the pH at one time without stressing out the fish.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.