Betta Fish Forum banner

Companion on the floor to clean????

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  vaygirl 
#1 ·
I keep my betta on his own in a 20litre (4.3gallon) tank, he's a very happy chappy.
However when feeding him I'm always in need of cleaning his tank due to the scrap bits of food on the floor, & with it being sand its a nightmare to filter all the waste & I usually remove him when doing so.
Therefore I'm wondering to get something that would live on the ground & help me keep it tidy?
Do u think this is a good idea, keeping in mind I don't want to upset betta with an uninvited friend, & do u have any suggestions as to what I could get if this is a good idea, keeping in mind the size of the tank.

Many thanks as always for your advice.

#2 ·
I guess my first thought is to switch him to Hikari biogold betta pellets. You only need to feed him 2 to 4 of those pellets a day and mine eats it up immediately, so there's absolutely no food waste to deal with.

Alternately maybe you could have one ghost shrimp in there with him. With a tank that size, that's about all you could fit. A snail produces more waste then it cleans.

#3 ·
Lol, believe it or not I did try a shrimp, & because the glass lid of the tank has gaps, which can't be filled with sponge (to stop things escaping), they did escape!!!!!! so really i would need something that does live literally on the floor.....hmmmmm! I'll look for those pellats though, im using the JBL Novo Grano-Color at the mo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.