Betta Fish Forum banner

A couple questions...

563 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Loveless 
#1 ·
I have wanted to add some fish to my life for a while but haven’t been able to until recently. I’ve been researching betta for about a week and I think I’m doing okay in the learning department. I just have two questions right now though. 1) How exactly would I go about doing a 100% water change if I need to? 2) How often do I need to replace the substrate, and how would I go about doing that?

I won’t be getting a betta for a couple weeks yet, but I want to make sure I have everything in order before I do get one.

#3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

1. The answer depends on what size tank you'll be using. Do you know what you'll be getting yet? In general, you scoop them up with a cup and put them in a safe place. Make sure that the water isn't too close to the top - some betta's jump D:

2. Substrate doesn't need to be changed, generally. It may be different if you have a planted tank and are using special substrate for growth. Otherwise, cleaning the gravel with a siphon while in the tank works fine.

#7 ·
Yep, I agree with everyone else.
2.5 gallon is fine for a single betta as long as it is heated and properly maintained..1 50% and then the 100% water change weekly.
I highly suggest keeping the cup betta comes in. You can use the cup to gentle scoop your betta up in before doing the 100% water change. Put the lid on the cup always.I've had 2 guys jump out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.