Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #1 
HLewis1990

Odd White Spot...

Hello all,

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure that the issue I'm having is a medical "emergency" or a "disease". I apologize if I'm in error.

I was recently given a Betta this past Saturday. I purchased a 10gallon tank, gravel substrate, water conditioner, and two pieces of deocration on Sunday, and placed the fish in the tank that evening. The fish has been in the tank for 5 days, receiving 4-5 pellets of food per day (which he devours). This past Wednesday, I added some plants purchased @ Petsmart to the tank after a 50% water change. These plants are Wisteria, Anacharis, and Anubias Nana. The tank is currently filter-less, but I will be buying one this coming week. When I added the plant, I was sure to add new conditioned water, and the appropriate amount of Flourish brand plant fertilizer. I also placed one 6500k CFC bulb above the tank, leaving it on 10 hours a day.

Here lies the problem. This morning when inspecting the tank, I noticed a white discoloration "spot" on the Betta's head. His behavior is normal, as is his appetite. I'm concerned about the spot, especially its rather sudden onset. Ive included a fuzzy pic of the spot. My apologies for the quality.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? Anything I need to be doing?

P.S. His next scheduled water change is a 50% change tomorrow. I'm currently cooling the water, so I'm not ready to administer a change just yet.
Attached Images

HLewis1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 
marshallsea

Is it fuzzy or cotton like?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 
HLewis1990

It didn't appear to be, but he was zipping around pretty fast..It looks more like a discolored scale. He's pretty small and quick, but it doesnt appear to be fuzzy. It lies flush with his skin.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 
marshallsea

I don't know how to share links so google white spot on betta, while waiting for an experienced member.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
marshallsea

Does it look like a sickness or an injury? Bettas are curious and like to act like a bull in a china shop , ramming and nudging with their noses. Sometimes they get injuries around their face. Is there something sharp in the tank?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 
HLewis1990

Nothing sharp I'm aware of. There is a brown log he can swim through and a smooth edged thermometer that he likes to swim through--nothing that I know of that would cause issues. I'll keep an eye on him over the weekend and see if the spot grows...

Ive noticed that aquarium salt is commonly mentioned as being beneficial for injuries or disease...

Should i add some as a precautionary measure with tomorrow's water change? I wonder is Aquarium salt will do damage to the plants...
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #7 
marshallsea

google 'Salt in the freshwater aquarium' and it will take you to a thread in this forum.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
sainthogan

It looks like he lost a scale on his head. Scales that fall off appear as white because their flesh underneath the scales is white. This could have happened for a number of reasons, but most likely, he hit his head on something and a scale fell off. This used to happen to my female quite often because she's a jumper, and will jump for anything that resembles food, including water droplets on the lid of her tank. Warm, clean water is the best thing to help it heal.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote