Betta Fish Forum banner

Bad tanks for bettas!

9K views 116 replies 15 participants last post by  Livelifelaughlove 
#1 ·
So here i shall post, and encourage others to post, all the tanks that they say are "just great" for bettas, when actually is a form of cruelity!

Hagen Dragon Marina Betta Kit at PETCO

Half gallon tank and the substrate is only supposed to go in the very center, i don't like these at all! actual quote from a comment on this tank as well:
"..And besides, they wouldn't sell it as a betta kit if it wasn't safe for a betta..."

Fish Bubble Wall Mount Fish Tank at Wrapables - Aquariums & Bowls
Granted it is a gallon and comes with many warnings, but for some reason i just don't think this would be a good idea at all, just think if something knocked into it and it fell over!

#5 ·
2.5g is fine for a betta, the little cups at walmart....? is not.

#8 ·
Kinda how i see it (as long as a gallon+) is that a person can be happy and totally content in an apartment (as long as its clean and gets fed) with one or two people.
In a house (again clean and fed) The person is still happy, but now is content with more people
and in a mansion- well then you can have much more people without feeling unhappy

So 1-3G is kinda like a apartment for a fish. They can still be just as happy

#9 ·
Emmnemms, I agree with you. As long as it is kept clean and the fish are taken care of properly, I think they can be fine. I was criticized on another forum for not keeping my bettas in large, heated, filtered aquariums. Well, I got ONE in larger quarters. lol When you live in someone else's house, there is a limit on what you can do.

#10 ·
I seriously don't think that a betta is going to be unhappy its entire life because it doesn't have a 100 gallon tank to swim around it all it wants.. granted it needs food, fresh water, and hiding places, but my mom keeps reminding me that they have lived how long in those tiny little cups? and now they are ecstatic just to be out of them. they don't covet something they don't know exists

#11 ·
My betta that I just switched over to a 4 gallon tank came from a heated, filtered tank that he was kept in at the fish store I got him from.He had to stay in a half gallon for 5 days before I got him a 1 1/2 gallon critter keeper. He didn't act depressed at all because he went from a mansion to a studio apartment. lol He has blown bubbles ever since I got him. He seems happy in his heated tank now.I had a friend who kept hers ina vase that held about 8 oz of water. Now THAT is cruel.

#14 ·
yeah the whole betta bowl thing has always ticked me off you can always put betta's in a community tank as long as fin nippers like tiger barbs have enough other barbs to chase and the betta is the only one of it's kind in the tank (males only obviously) you can have as many females as you want... actually tiger barbs danios and rasbora gouramis all come from the same habitat must be pretty crazy in those south asian streams lol

#16 ·
Oh ugh those wall bubble tank thingys make me cringe too! I can see now someone slamming a door or hitting the wall somehow and crash! Ya I agree anything under a gallon is just plain horrible. Just because they came from a lil cup at whatever store doesnt mean they can live in one forever. Ive seen some pet stores/fish stores who do have bettas in 10 gallon tanks,some all to themselves! Which is great. I dont understand that penn plax one either,divided into 4 and a lil tiny section for each betta? Might as well leave them in the cup!

#17 ·
The one that I put in the 4 gallon was in a tank, probably about 50 gallons or so. There were other fish in there, I think but I don't remember what kind. They had one other betta in another large tank. My Petsmart used to keep them in those individual cubicle things on the wall above the tanks.

#18 ·
ya, I don't like less than 1.5 gallons, but I would never keep mine in less than three. This is pretty terrible!
Dual Betta Hex with Gravel and Plant by Lee's - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart
Tom Aqua Pal Aquarium Kit - Aquarium Kits - Aquariums - PetSmart This ones just encouraging stressing ur betta!

I can't BELIEVE they even have these goldfish kits! Sure, shove a 10 inch goldfish into one of these!
Marina Goldfish Starter Kit - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart (this one would be ok for a betta)
Deluxe Plastic Goldfish Bowl - Bowls - Aquariums - PetSmart

Ok, this says goldfish, but you add a heater and its a betta dream home!
Marina 5.5 Gallon Goldfish Starter Kit - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart

#22 ·
I'd really LOVE to beat the snot out of the people who invent/spread this abuse!! *goes into a daydream of how fun that would be....hehehe evil laugh*

Uh anyway, I have a 5 gallon minimum for my guys. I know that's not common, but this is the way I reason it. The people that live in the apartment can go outside right? The betta can not, so that would be like staying in your apartment for your entire life. And please realize that I am not trying to pick a fight here. I'm ok with the recommended 2.5 gallon minimum and am just happy that the people here actually take care of their bettas. This is just my honest opinion, so don't be offended anyone.

#23 ·
No Kim, I'm not offended at all. I do keep mine in smaller containers and I know that they should be kept in the largest tank/container possible. Believe it or not, I HAVE upgraded since I first started out. When I got my first betta, I had him in a half gallon vase! :( That was before I really knew better. They are in gallon containers now, or 3 of them are. 1 is in the heated 4 gallon and 1 is in a 1 1/2 gallon critter keeper. My room DOES stay pretty warm. I'm going to try to upgrade as I go along. I appreciate your honesty and your ability to express your opinion without being rude. :)

#24 ·
No prob kim. Good though about the illistration i hadn't considered that.
I think they should be in the biggest tank that is possible. But i don't think 1 gallon+ should be considered torture, as long as properly cared for

oh and the vase, yes it is 3 1/2 gallons. I just don't know if i can put a fish in something meant to hold flowers... hmmm

#25 ·
I'm not, at all, kim. Good point! I always wait until I can afford atleast a 3 gallon. Emmnemms, I wouldn't unless you got a filter cuz they have such small surface area, but of course I wouldn't put any betta in any tank without a filter! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.