Betta Fish Forum banner

Good bye, Teeney

10K views 98 replies 52 participants last post by  Saphira101 
#1 ·
Wow. I've had Teeney for almost 5 months and had no idea the day I bought her that I would be writing this post.. But here I am.

I had to rehome Teeney today. No, I didnt want to. It was pretty much either rehome her or she dies. :cry: I'm not going to go in detail but my dad always gets mad at me due to my lack of social skills, my social anxiety or whatever the social problem that I have is. So because he was mad at me he told me to flush Teeney down the toilet. ALIVE. :shock: He wasn't kidding. And its not something I could try to get out of, I am afraid of him. I just couldn't fathom doing such a thing to her. Its not even her fault that I have issues. It just wasnt fair. So I put her in the cup I bought her in and put her in my bathroom cabinet, hidden away... Immediately I made an ad on craigslist, I needed her out of my house ASAP because if my dad knew she wasn't dead he would FLIP. I didnt want her to go to a bad home, so I knew I had to rehome her with her tank and heater, etc. I made an ad, I made it clear that she had to come with the tank and she had to remain living in that tank (i was afraid someone would buy the tank and put her in a bowl) I put $20 for the 10 gallon tank, filter, heater, gravel, decor, liquid test kit, food, water conditioner. Wow that guy got a deal and I lost a lot. But I truly dont even care. Anyways this guy has fish tanks already and he told me she will be going into a 55 gallon community tank! :) And hed use my tank for other purposes. He said that he has a pond, and 3 years ago he put 3 pairs of bettas in the pond and today he has THOUSANDS. I truly couldn't have found a better home locally, thank god he took her in. Shes on to bigger and better...

So anyways, yeah.. It really sucks. I'm not sure if I will be on the forum anymore, I'm not sure if being here will just be a bad reminder. But I love it here, I'd like to stay, I really enjoy being here with all of you guys. But we will just have to see what happens...

here she is just before he came, in her cup. :-(

See less See more
#14 ·
Your Dad is scum. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I'm so sorry and I hope you stay here on the forum, betta or not. hugz.
Thank you. I just cant wait to move out. too bad it wont be for at least 2 1/2 more years

#7 ·
She left at about 6:30 today. Aww.

I appreciate everyone's support. its nice to know someone in the world cares- even if I dont know you in real life.

#9 ·
I think that having teeny opened you up to a whole new aspect of yourself.

I am glad she is going to an experienced fish keeper. I hope he will send you pictures of her in her new home!

#12 ·
Oh no, that's horrible. I can't believe he'd do that to you, it's not Teeney's fault and it's certainly not your fault either. :(

I'm sure she'll be ok though, since you put so much effort into finding her another home.

I kinda know what you're going through, with the social problems...if you ever wanna chat, PM me.

#13 ·
I'm so sorry.

I know exactly how you feel. My mom has threatened to kick my dog ut of the house and she has done it on occassion already.

I'm really, really sorry.

#16 ·
Gees, sorry to hear about this. I could definitely tell you cared a lot about teeney and making sure she had a happy stress free home.

Keep in mind with CL, a lot of the people are great @ making up stories especially if they sense you're rushed for time. Any claims someone makes, I believe ONLY once I see proof.

Don't want to diss your pops, but what he did is wrong. Sounds similar to an associate of mine who admitted he has SA issue, but his issues with SA is much more severe and it's definitely made worse by his sheer size. He's about 2.5x-3x me weight wise. From what I know, his father was a very violent and dangerous man when he was alive. Thrived on fear & intimidation, took care of his friends but neglected the needs of his own family. This is a man who would spend $100 to buy drinks for everyone in the bar to show off his wealth & power, but would hand his youngest son $10 to buy food for his wife, and 4 hungry kids. I know my associate has many more horrible stories to tell me but it doesn't really serve any purpose to bring up his dark past.

Anyway, at least you have some other animals in the house to play with.

I would love to at least get a glimpse of this guy's pond that houses 1000's of fish.

You should stay on the forum, you're still knowledgeable on most of the basic care requirements of these fishies. You should have seen these two new employees I saw at the LPS that were netting fish for customers. My oh my their lack of knowledge and sheer negligence was shocking.

While I was observing the bettas getting WC's I saw this employee catch too many fish and instead of a net, she used her bare hands to catch & toss the fish back into the main tank.

If you can..... try to find out if you can get involved in some volunteer work with people/afterschool programs. Even if it's only an hour a day. It changes your perspective when you meet actual people who are in much worse situations but still somehow they have a really positive outlook on life.

While animals are nice stress relief at times, they can't give you actual advice on what it's like to really struggle & survive.

#17 ·
Thank you MSG.
I do see your point but I feel confident that he was telling the truth. I will never know for sure but something about him made me confident.

As for programs and volunteering.. I used to volunteer at a no kill animal shelter and I LOVED it. I LOVEEEDDD it. And for some reason my social issues were not existent there- I had no anxiety or fear talking to total strangers. It was weird.

But my dad took that away too.

#90 ·
As for programs and volunteering.. I used to volunteer at a no kill animal shelter and I LOVED it. I LOVEEEDDD it. And for some reason my social issues were not existent there- I had no anxiety or fear talking to total strangers. It was weird.

But my dad took that away too.
I have social Anxiety too and was very shy as a kid and my anxiety got worse as I got older too in High School. But when I am around animals I'm not shy anymore and can talk to people too just like you were when you volunteered. Yeah it is wierd for me too.

Animals take the fear and anxiety out of me, so I am going to have my cat and fish certified as "Emotional Support Animals" by my therapist So by law I can live anywhere I want, even in places that say no pets allowed. I wont even have to pay any pet deposits either. You can even take Emotional Support animals to college too :-D If your Betta was already an emotional support animal your dad would not have been able to make you get rid of it. I feel bad for what you had to do. At least your Betta will be in good hands. And I'm glad you are going to stay after all! ;-)

#18 ·
Oh my gosh... If I was forced to give up my one and only betta I would just lie in bed....your dad probably just made your social problems worse. Being mean to someone isn't gonna make them want to interact with other people...what he's really showing you is that people are cruel and not worth being social with.

I know I was mean at first... But you are a really cool person to talk to.

I will miss you if you go :cry:

#19 ·
I know, my other pets are keeping me busy and around the house. Which I suppose is a good thing.
No hard feelings, it's cool (;

#20 ·
I am so sorry and sad for you ...how is your mom does she understand and is she afraid of your dad too ? You dont have to answer of course its a very personal question. I wish I knew how to help you. If there is ever anything you need or want to talk about you can send me a private message here or on FB. Your such a sweet person and always helping with peoples questions on here...Sending you many hugs !

P.S. I was just wondering today why I hadnt seen any post from you here or on FB...sighs.

#22 ·
Well I wouldn't say she's scared exactly, but she most defenitely try's to avoid making him mad. She does have a heart so she knew about me not flushing Teeney, she just said she didn't want to be involved so my dad wouldn't freak out at her if he had found out.

#23 ·
Cats are so sensative to emotions! They're being super sweet right now :) <3

#24 ·
Wow..Teeny I am sooo sorry to hear about this..I remember you mentioning this the other day..I am in shock..I know how much you care about your lil girl..

I am really praying whomsoever took her gives her the best of care, I hope you get to visit..I am also sending you hugs, and well wishes, in case I don't get to see you here, altho, If I remember correctly I have you in my FB friends..

but I hope you decide to stay..you are sweet, and thoughtful, and I remember when I first came on the forum, I saw your posts, and gained a lot of knowledge from you, and LTB, and a few others, and If you ever need to talk, you can also PM me, here, or on FB:)

#26 ·
Your dad isn't helping much with your anxiety is he? I'll bet he has a lot to do with it :redmad:

And your mom needs to intervene with something like that. Making you flush a fish is just cruel.

So sorry that you had to deal with that today but I'm glad that Teeny found a good home. Someday you'll have all the fishies you want.

#28 ·
I'm saddened by the news... Dont really know what to say other than I hope you stick around here. You're one of the more active/helpful members here.. I dont think I saw a thread where you weren't in. Hang in there..

#30 ·
Oh and perseusmom, I had deactivated it but re logged in to active my FB account

#31 ·
Teeney i'm crying for you please don't leave the forum your so kind and sweet and i can't imagine it without you i am so sorry about teeney and after i read this i had to ask both my parents if they would ever make me flush my fish and was so happy when they said no i feel so bad please promise me you'll stay on the forum i'll miss you so bad if you leave. such a nice sweet person like you should never ever need to live with a person like your dad :( i feel so bad for you please don't leave.

#32 ·
There's nothing wrong with you
Every person is different I like keeping to
Myself and taking care of the things I love
Rather than be out partying . Sucks you aren't old enough
To fight against that . I hope he feels seriously guilty for
Making you do that . And I hope you can get another betta soon !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.