Betta Fish Forum banner

Good bye, Teeney

10K views 98 replies 52 participants last post by  Saphira101 
#1 ·
Wow. I've had Teeney for almost 5 months and had no idea the day I bought her that I would be writing this post.. But here I am.

I had to rehome Teeney today. No, I didnt want to. It was pretty much either rehome her or she dies. :cry: I'm not going to go in detail but my dad always gets mad at me due to my lack of social skills, my social anxiety or whatever the social problem that I have is. So because he was mad at me he told me to flush Teeney down the toilet. ALIVE. :shock: He wasn't kidding. And its not something I could try to get out of, I am afraid of him. I just couldn't fathom doing such a thing to her. Its not even her fault that I have issues. It just wasnt fair. So I put her in the cup I bought her in and put her in my bathroom cabinet, hidden away... Immediately I made an ad on craigslist, I needed her out of my house ASAP because if my dad knew she wasn't dead he would FLIP. I didnt want her to go to a bad home, so I knew I had to rehome her with her tank and heater, etc. I made an ad, I made it clear that she had to come with the tank and she had to remain living in that tank (i was afraid someone would buy the tank and put her in a bowl) I put $20 for the 10 gallon tank, filter, heater, gravel, decor, liquid test kit, food, water conditioner. Wow that guy got a deal and I lost a lot. But I truly dont even care. Anyways this guy has fish tanks already and he told me she will be going into a 55 gallon community tank! :) And hed use my tank for other purposes. He said that he has a pond, and 3 years ago he put 3 pairs of bettas in the pond and today he has THOUSANDS. I truly couldn't have found a better home locally, thank god he took her in. Shes on to bigger and better...

So anyways, yeah.. It really sucks. I'm not sure if I will be on the forum anymore, I'm not sure if being here will just be a bad reminder. But I love it here, I'd like to stay, I really enjoy being here with all of you guys. But we will just have to see what happens...

here she is just before he came, in her cup. :-(

See less See more
#67 ·
Teeny, I am so sorry. There are no words... (((HUGS))) I am glad you are staying on the forum though. I've only had Bradbury for a month and I would be a mess if something happened to him. I'm glad you have other pets to give you some love and attention, and vice versa.

It really annoys me when people think there is something wrong with a person just because they are an introvert. My mom used to get on my case when all the time when I was a kid. It will get better. As for the anxiety, I understand completely. I have PTSD and anxiety disorder. If you ever need some advice on how to deal with it, or just need to talk, message me.

#69 ·
Awww teeney that is horrible i cant believe you had to do that! Yesterday i lost my very first betta who was also a female. I still am not sure how she died i just found her belly up :( I had her for a whole year too... anyway keeping you in my thoughts!

#70 ·
Let's do it!
Omg, yes, yes yes! and we can breed beautiful HMPK's and little orange girls like Teeney and call them all Teeney juniors.

#71 · (Edited)
I'm going to dream and act like this is actually goiń to happen!

Yes! The only problem is that orange is a recessive trait :x
Lol yes!!!
Names: itty, bitty, tiny, Teeney jr.

#75 ·
I'm so sorry to hear that. Ok...so what you don't like to socialize. Sometimes it better to be in a smaller group then trying to be apart of everything. He sucks for making you have to make such a rash decision. But kuddos you did what was best. And just know that teeney is in a really nice place and she's probably thanking you for not listening to him. Be strong.

#76 ·
I'm so sorry to hear that. Ok...so what you don't like to socialize. Sometimes it better to be in a smaller group then trying to be apart of everything. He sucks for making you have to make such a rash decision. But kuddos you did what was best. And just know that teeney is in a really nice place and she's probably thanking you for not listening to him. Be strong.
I hope so! i just texted the guy and told him my betta keeping friends and i would love to see a pic of her in her new home.
Idk if he has texting though. im just too awkward to CALL and ask for that xD

#77 ·
OMG I GOT A PICTURE OF TEENEY!!
I texted him and asked for a picture and here she is! He said hes sorry he couldnt get a good pic because she wouldnt stop moving- that is my teeney!! Seeing this picture just makes me feel so good to know shes okay, and alive, UGH!! :D
It looks to me like shes in a breeding box, which makes me feel even more confident that he will be putting her in the 55 gallon tank he said he would :DD

#80 ·
Yay! Go Teeney!

#83 ·
"Your fish is dead and it's all your fault."
WOW. That makes me love people. x.x

#84 ·
I am soooo sorry about what you are going through! It's absolutely not fair... I could never imagine treating someone that way! I know what its like to be socially awkward, I have awful social anxiety issues, I'm good with one or 2 people, but in groups, even if I know everyone, I just kind of sit in a corner. I am always here if you need someone to talk to! Please do not ever hesitate to message me on here or facebook, even if you just want to chat!! **Big Hugs!!**

#86 ·
wow i don't even know what to say. Have tears ... Not sure if it right what you father did though. I hope he is good to you? Sound like step father. Are you ok , is he treating your right way? I feel bad for you. First when i talk to you through the visitor messages i though you family is animal lovers, since you have a few dogs. Not sure why he had do it to you , if all he has to do just talk to you if there is any issue and try to understand you and resolve it.

Good luck yo you i am glad you didn't quite the forum. Some day soon you will adult and can live along and hopefully do in your home what you want to do and have pets on your own without asking permission ....you will be there , just get good grades . Hugs :) Sorry.

#87 ·
wow i don't even know what to say. Have tears ... Not sure if it right what you father did though. I hope he is good to you? Sound like step father. Are you ok , is he treating your right way? I feel bad for you. First when i talk to you through the visitor messages i though you family is animal lovers, since you have a few dogs. Not sure why he had do it to you , if all he has to do just talk to you if there is any issue and try to understand you and resolve it.

Good luck yo you i am glad you didn't quite the forum. Some day soon you will adult and can live along and hopefully do in your home what you want to do and have pets on your own without asking permission ....you will be there , just get good grades . Hugs :) Sorry.
Dont worry about me, he doesnt hurt me.
He does like dogs, but to him a fish is just a fish. He doesnt think of it has a life just as deserving as any other. TBH I'm actually 'the' animal person in my family. aha.

#88 ·
Then may be you can just talk to him and let him know that he has to respect your interest to fish and may be on your birthday or just because he understands and loves you ,you can have a betta! I also had argument with my father all my life . He was good father , i think it was more my foul., Now when i don't live with my perants i kind of regred about all those arguments. But he really was not too strict with me, and i always had what i want. Any way i am sure he want the best for you.

#91 ·
Even though I'm a bit late to the thread I just wanted to say how terribly sorry I am for you. I could never imagine having to give up any of my fish, especially in such a horrid way.

You're a much braver person than I am, if anybody ever threatened my animals in such a way I would have packed up and left to to a relatives house.

I'm glad you're staying on the forum though. Teeney was one of the first bettas I ever read about when I first joined the forums. I remember how excited you were about getting her a 10 gallon. :lol:

I'm also glad that Teeney was placed in a good home. It was a truly selfless thing you did.

And of course, as others have said, if you feel like you need someone to speak to I'm always available. :)

#96 ·
Teeney:
The only way to make your dad realize how hurt you are is to tell him straight up or if you think that will cause confrontation you should write him a letter! It might work and even if he doesn't let you get more bettas at least you won't have that weird, icky tension between the two of you. I'm glad you didn't kill your betta :D Just stay strong and stick up for the person you want to be not the person the people around you want to be.

And for all of those people mad at your dad you really need to put it into perspective. Yes he did try and force her to flush her own fish but he was probably mad and people say things when they're mad. Also he was thinking about her health and mental state (she said she was suffering from anxiety). As a parent, you would do anything for your child even and if you're mad and think that a betta fish is part of the problem, sacrificing it wouldn't be that big a deal. Its basic psychology.

#97 ·
He didn't think my betta was the problem.
He knows that taking my animals away is the worst possible thing anyone could ever do to hurt me. Taking away my iPod, phone, computer privelages or tv privelages would suck but not as much as killing my own pet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.