Betta Fish Forum banner

Looks like the table's turned!

851 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
I noticed yesterday that Nyx, my new girl, seems to have something against Aigis. Maybe it's some blue-eyed rivalry. Anway, she was flaring a bit and chasing her around, and left my other two girls alone. No nipping that I saw...

Today, poor Aigis' fins are totally shredded. And interestingly enough, a bit of Gloria's as well! I can just imagine she must be in so much shock that someone actually has the audacity to pick on her. :p

And odder still, Bambi, my smallest, is perfectly fine. Usually she's the one that gets picked on the most because of her size...

Poor Aigis though, I'm going to start with some salt baths...hope everything goes well.

Nyx is doing great though, I'm almost 100% sure she's a mustard gas now. I had always wanted one.

#2 ·
sorry to hear about the girls, but, in time they should get more and more used to each other. i have 31 in my sorority and theres nipping and chasing here and there. i never take any of them out to do salt baths either. i keep aquarium salt in their water at a ratio of a heaping tablespoon per five gallons. everyones healing fast and quite nicely. i dont take them out also because i dont like to net my fish or keep stressing them by taking them out and then back in again. it seems to aggravate the situation with the ladies lol

#3 ·
I have aquarium salt in their tank too, but I figured maybe a salt bath wa more potent? I always scoop my gir;s out during their weekly water change though. But I scoop them up with the little cups/bowls i hold them in, not with a net.

#4 ·
ya alotta people do that, i just dont like the added stress it can bring on

#5 ·
Well I used to siphon the corner with the girls in, it's just the Gloria is so curious it worries me. Plus I ended up accidentally killing one of my uncle's goldfish when i was siphoning his tank. So now I do it as a precaution. :-(

#7 ·
So do you suggest that I give Aigis a salt bath, anyway? Or will the aquarium salt in the tank be enough? I didn't add the amount I was supposed to last time, so I guess I'll do 100% change instead of 50% today and add more salt to it...

#8 ·
i never give mine salt baths, i just salt the tanks and they do just fine. i think youd be fine with just the tank salt but it cant hurt to do the bath, i guess its just personal preference

#9 ·
Hmm well, I'll add the salt to the tank and if she's not improving I guess I'll start the baths. Thanks. :)

She seems perfectly fine though. Swimming and acting normally. Nothing phases that girl, lol.

#10 ·
well good, shes strong and helthy it sounds like, hers fins will be back in no time

#11 ·
I do what Christina says, i had some nipped fins, had to get rid of one girl. She was such a bully, and i had her since aug. but w/e.

I always siphon with all the ladies in, some like to inspect my arm and nip at it haha, others hide, fluffy has gotten so comfortable with me, she likes it when i push her around with my finger, then she comes back and nipps at it, then i push her again and she just rubb on my finger lol... shes so funny and cute, AND HUGE!

#12 ·
Thanks ChristinaRoss, hopefully Nyx will settle down a bit soon.

Lol AlexXx, usually Aigis and Gloria will come check my arm out if I put it in. Gloria will bite it, very hard too. It actually hurts a bit. :shock:

#14 ·
Personally I only do a saltbath if they show signs of fin rot. For the rest of the time I keep a half to three quarter dose of aquarium salt in my tank all the time. I never used to, but I have since found it to be a good precaution against bacteria in the water and my fish seem to like it just fine.

AlexXx- that's so cute! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.