Betta Fish Forum banner

whats wrong??

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
My new betta Byron is just staying at the top of his tank not really moving is something wrong or does he need some time to himself? he was moving alot in his cup.

#10 ·
Ok. So when you say you had him sit, you mean just in his container? That would acclimate water temperature, but would not acclimate varying types of water PH levels and such.

Usually the best way to acclimate is leave in a container, like you did, but occasionally add a very small amount of water from the tank. Let it sit 10 minutes, then add a little more.....do this until most of the water is changed out and he's in the fresh tank water. That way it's not a shock to his system.

But it's kinda late for that now, and I'm sure it's nothing you did. I'm not sure what else to suggest except just hope he will make it and be alright. :(

#13 ·
Is he floating on his side and then swimming around? Have you fed him anything? Hopefully it's not swim bladder or something, but I will say that nearly 50% of the Petco bettas seem to be on their sides in the store (not dead, just on their side), so this seems to be a re-occurring problem with their stock. :(

#14 ·
No he's just sitting there and then he starts to lean and before you know it hes on his side not moving then he slowly falls to the bottom and shots up to the surface, but he was fine in his cup

#17 ·
1. Don't panic. It never helps.

Is he "stuck" at the top of the water? Has trouble going down? Or does he simply float down?

Is it cycled? Just because another fish was in there doesn't mean it's cycled. How long was that other fish in there? Have you tried doing a water change? How are his fins - are they clamped? How are his colors - are they nice, or are they completely dull? How is his stomach - nothing is protruding? How are his scales - not sticking out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.