Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldfishlady water change recommendations

121K views 361 replies 117 participants last post by  cfaye3char 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lots of different ways to successfully keep this species-

Based on the experiments I have conducted over the years-I have found that water quality can be maintained by these water change schedules. This is based on feeding quality foods and not overfeeding-since most water quality problems are due to poor quality foods and overfeeding more than byproducts produced by the Betta.

You don't want to base water change needs on water test ALONE-The test result can be helpful too, however, we don't test for the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that also build up that can be problematic.

All tanks need at least weekly-to-twice weekly water changes and water changes based on water prams of-Ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and Nitrate of 40ppm or greater-It is best to keep nitrate under 20ppm.

If using plants fert-make water change-then add the ferts so you will remove any unused ferts so the algae can't to help prevent algae problems. With that said, some species of algae can be good and a sign of a healthy system, however, the aquarium is still a closed system and manual removal will still be needed on occasion.

Remember-some products/additives used in the tank can cause skewed test results. Have a base line with your source water with and without these products so you don't make unneeded water changes based on skewed results.

Tanks:
1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%

1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

1-4gal with/without filter and with live plants-
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.

5-9gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum-with 90-100% monthly

5-9gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum

5-9gal with/without filter and with live plants
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.

10+gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum and 90-100% as needed based on stocking

10+gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum

10+gal with/without filter and with live plants

You want to vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots. It is best not to move decorations around-but if you need to or you want to change things around-Be sure and vacuum well under items-you may or may not need to make 2 back to back water changes in order to get the excess mulm/debris buildup under items.
If you do-don't clean the filter media or clean the non-viewing walls-especially in cycled tanks to prevent min-cycle/spikes.

When you vacuum-Unplug both the filter and heater-Then plunge the vacuum deep into the substrate and as the mulm/debris clear in a second or two-move and repeat.
You will not get all the mulm/debris and this is okay-Once you refill with like temp dechlorinated water and turn the filter back on the water should clear within the hour-even without a filter the water should clear. If not, you either missed a water change, over feeding or overstocked.

It is best to leave the Betta in the tank with partial water changes.
When making 100% water changes and you cup the Betta-be sure and properly acclimate back to the new chemistry like you do with a new Betta-By adding small amounts of the new tank water to the holding container over 10-15min or to tolerance-Net and add to the tank without adding the holding containers water.
Be sure and have some extra dechlorinated water on hand to use for top offs if needed.

Too clean can sometimes be as bad as too dirty-We all know what too dirty can do-but too clean and too many water changes especially 100% water changes can be stressful, disrupt the balance of the good and bad bacteria/pathogens and antibody development. Its hard for life to be maintained in too clean and sterile conditions.

I am not saying to not make water changes-what I am saying is that this species doesn't produce the amount of byproduct that you think and removal of all the organics in the tank too often can disrupt the balance and by removing all the bad you are removing the good that helps to keep the bad controlled.....Balance.....

Remember-to always wash hand well before and after working on your tank/Betta. And to unplug both the heater and filter...Safety for both you and your wet-pet.....​

See less See more
#357 ·
I'm glad you said how many drops! This is very helpful!

#358 ·
Hey guys!

As a new fish owner, I just read these water change recommendations and I ran into a problem I am worried about. My 1.5 gallon tank doesn't have a filter, there is only a plant in it next to my fish and -thanks to these recommendations- I am going to change 50% of the water every week. But I don't know how to remove remaining food and other debris which goes into the gravel of my tank. I already noticed that my betta REALLY hate 100% water changes and he -sort of- panics everytime I do full water changes. What do you recommend? Am I supposed to remove the gravel and instead of it use small rocks LIKE ON THIS PICTURE which could hold my plant but are easy to remove when I do 50% water changes too?
Thanks! :)

#359 · (Edited)
Gravel is fine, especially if you already have plants growing. Clean the bottom with a clean, new turkey baster if you want. But it's better to have a siphon like this DIY one 50-cent siphon or you can buy one at your LFS.

A weekly 50% wc is not enough for optimum health.

In a small unfiltered tank, it's important to use Prime water conditioner by Seachem. this detoxifies the ammonia put out by your fish and plants. Dose 2-drops/gal every day.

Using Prime, you can do a 50% wc every second or third day with a large >80% wc every third or fourth change.

Do a full clean 100% every month or so.

I hope this sounds like a lot of work..... because it is.

Better is to get him into a 2.5g tank -- preferably larger -- and cycle your tank. CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

Welcome to the forum.

I just noticed you're in Hungary. What brands of water conditioner are available to you? I'd like a list so I can recommend one.

#361 ·
Do you know whether your water has chlorine, chloramine or both? While chlorine evaporate easily from water, Chloramine evaporates at an insanely slow rate.

It's much easier adding 10 drops of prime to your water than to wait two or more weeks for the water to become safe.

keep in mind that emergencies crop up where you may need to do an immediate water change. Unless you've prepared water in advance it will be unlikely you'll be able to do an emergency water without a water conditioner.

Water conditioners are life savers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.