Betta Fish Forum banner

Mission NPT to start tomorrow!

901 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  sandrac8388 
#1 ·
I will be getting my supplies tomorrow for sure!! So far I have this list for my NPT:

Organic potting soil
pool filtered sand or fine gravel (not sure yet)
3 or 5 gallon tank (not sure yet, suggestions?)
stem plants, floaters, etc. (will be covering about 70% of tank)
Will i need special items for the plants (food, iron, etc.? help!)
cherry shrimp (how many?)
trumpet snail (how many?)
6500K lights
driftwood

I have a heater already and I'm told I don't need a filter? I have the basic low maintenance plants written down. I will only be housing one female betta fish. I love her and want her to be alone. She is going to be spoiled. This will be my first NPT, eventually I would like my other 3 tanks to be NPTs too. Is soil a good idea? I hear it may not keep the water clear?? IDK! :cry:

If anyone can offer advice, tips, any of that good stuff please do so. Help a fellow fish owner out! :-D

Thank you guys!!! :-D

See less See more
#2 ·
bet to get a filter for the first few weeks. And I do suggest etting the cherry shrimps later. store bought plants are often grown emmersed and it will take them a bit of time to establish in the tank :)

If you have time to order online. I love the azoo filters. Deep blue makes one exactly like the azoo mignon 60, but's I've found it to be much much noisier.
you cant really buy trumpet snails. but most LFS willbe more than happy togive you some.

#3 ·
I use the aqua clear filters and just add extra sponge, will that work?

Also should I get like iron supplements and what not for the plants? I've seen videos on youtube and they add like supplements and bacteria and whatnot. I didn't see that on OFL's sticky. I'm pretty much following that plus youtube videos lol. And you were the one that suggested to fill 70% with plants :)) so thank you!

Do you think i should do the 3 or 5 gallon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.