Betta Fish Forum banner

Do I need an airstone with a snail?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  White Mage 
#1 ·
Alright so I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a baffled filter. I have a betta and a snail in it. Also have a morimo moss ball in there. Should I add an air stone for the snail, or will he be fine? I have one in right now just in case, but it's loud. =/

Oh, I also noticed a white film like thing around the rubber part of my heater, it flows with the current also. Is this algae? or maybe the BB? It's fuzzy. Thanks!

#2 ·
You shouldn't need an air stone. You already have a filter, no? Your snail will be fine. What type of snail is it? I have a mystery snail in my 20G. I have a filter in it and he zooms all over the place; no air-stone. Besides, I've read that a few people's bettas have trouble swimming/get tired from all of the current going on in the tanks when there's both a filter and air-stone.

Pictures of the white stuff, please. I'm going to assume it is bacteria, though. No biggie, just clean it off. If it flows with the current, though, I would try to get it out ASAP. I'm only saying that *I* would get it out ASAP, because my betta likes to try and chase after anything that moves, and eat it.

#3 ·
Pic of snail, betta, and the white stuff, lol. It might be a bit hard to see because of the low quality, but its like a thick white film over it. I stuck the snail on it hoping it would eat it if it IS algae. Snail refuses to come out after Candace poked him >.>

#4 ·
LOL. I had that in my 20g. That's bacteria. Just clean it up, because your snail won't eat it. How long has your tank been up? It's probably still cycling. Mine did it too, so don't feel bad. ^_^

Don't get all over-reactive and over clean like I did. I ended up doing a 75% water change in an anxiety attack with the thought of a bacteria bloom in my tank. Looking back at it, that seems really silly. :roll:

Not sure what type of snail he is from that angle, since most snails that I've seen thus far have rounded shells like that. I did just buy a white mystery snail, and I saw a gold one at petsmart the other day. Maybe he's one of those? They have rounded pointy thing on their other side. Makes me think of baby unicorns, sort of.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok, lol. How should I clean it? I actually just did my first water change (25%-30%) an hour ago, when I noticed it. .-. I've had the tank up since Tuesday.

I was going to get a blue mystery snail, but when the guy went to the back room to get it, he came back with a gold one because they were out of blue. So I'm assuming it's a gold mystery snail, it does have the unicorn-ish point on one side. And omg poor snail! Candace poked him again when he was coming out of the shell and knocked him off the heater, and he popped out of the shell! LOL, he just kinda went "splat" on the ground before going back in the shell.

#6 ·
Scrubber should get it. Along with a gravel syphon if you see any on the ground. I would say it's a safe bet that there is some, seeing as you said that you had some of the bacteria coming out of your filter. Just syphon it a little and you should be a-okay. :)

OFL water change recommendations:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758&page=10

Awwww poor guy! LOL! someone else on the forum called is "mission impossibling". I just can't get over how funny I found that (for a snail). Makes me picture a parachute and stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.