Betta Fish Forum banner

High temp?

780 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Hadoken Kitty 
#1 ·
I'm starting a small cycle on a 2G tank. I threw in a mystery snail and some algae wafers to speed up the process. The tank I bought came with a filter, but not a heater, so I bought a ZooMed non-adjustable one. It said it would only raise it a couple of degrees and then shut itself off....but the tank water is 85*F. I'll check again later, but should I be worried? I don't have any fish in it yet, but I don't want to use this heater if I'm going to have baked fish.

#3 ·
Is your filter a submerged one or is it a HOB? I remember I had a tank with a submerged filter that generated enough heat to keep the tank at a nice toasty 80F without the use of a heater

#4 ·
It's a submerged one. So should I take the heater out? This could work out nicely, seeing as I could have an extra heater laying around for...well...emergency purposes. :)

#5 ·
Take the heater out (and fish in case it gets chilly) and keep an eye on the temperature for a few hours. Make sure it is STABLE and not going up and down every few minutes :p

#6 ·
Well, I don't have a fish in the tank yet.....I haven't purchased her. The tank is just sort of running with a mystery snail hanging out. Will the snail be alright? It's been pretty docile... :roll:

#9 ·
What kind of lights are on the tank? I have incandescent on my mini bows and they keep the temp at a steady 78 when I have them on. Obviously the temp drops at night so I use the heaters at night only which works perfectly, no temperature shifts, less energy consumption, and happy fish!

#14 ·
Way ahead of ya there Hallyx! I was just curious about the temp. I'm still looking through fish, to pick one out, to put in it. So I have plenty of time for it to cycle. :p

That makes sense, Bahamut. Explains why I couldn't find any of the above. xD

#15 ·
85 should be ok, in fact, some breeders prefer it that high. Just leave the heater in there, it will adjust accordingly. Btw, i was just at the pet store the other day, there are "betta" heaters that looks like a thin disc you just throw in the tank. It's a good alternative for those typical big chunky ones. Btw, some people wake up so early, ZzzzZzz...

#16 ·
Actually, that's the one that was making it so warm. LOL. It's in my 1G hospital tank right now. Keeping it at a nice 80*F. The other tank is keeping itself at 80*F too, from just the filter. o_O

Also, I was only up because I started vomiting out of nowhere. My stomach has been hurting all day, and I'm just feeling icky. :(

I don't think I want the water that high unless I'm trying to breed them at that moment. Besides, I'd like the female to get into warmer waters and go, woah, the water is warmer! Woah, there's a dude. Woah, i've eaten a lot. Woah, I have eggs. (Woah).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.