Betta Fish Forum banner

Good plants/filter for a 5.2 gallon betta tank?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gargleknobs 
#1 ·
I've had a betta before, but I was previously ignorant to the care required for these fish. Pet stores have a tendency to advertise them as very low maintenance, indelicate pets. However, I bought a new betta roughly 4 months ago and have since been researching the proper care for him.

I currently have King living in a 1 gallon bowl with a heater, keeping the water at 78°-80° F. I am currently treating him for fin rot (his bowl had gotten much too cold in the last month without a heater) with 3/4 of a teaspoon of Aquarium salt with each water change. I have been changing his water every 2 days because in such a small bowl with no filter, his water gets cloudy quickly and I don't want him to get ammonia poisoning or anything of that nature.

Today I ordered a 5.2 gallon tank (10"x10"x12") because with his new heater and thermometer, he has even less space than he did before. I want to get him some live plants so that his home isn't so bland and boring for him, but I've been very apprehensive about it because of the cleaning process required and not wanting to constantly uproot plants.

So, my question is.. What is the best way to go about keeping plants in a 5 gallon tank? I currently use glass black marbles as flooring in his bowl. They're attractive and easy to clean thoroughly. From what I've seen, sand is the best environment for aquatic plants, but I'm not sure how to clean sand.
Also, what sort of filter would you recommend for a 5.2 gallon tank? I figure that if I get a filter, water changes could be reduced and keeping plants would be less of a hassle.

If anyone knows of plants that are easy to maintain in a betta tank, soil that is easiest to clean a tank with, filters that are betta/small tank friendly... I would really appreciate if you'd share. I'm trying to make my betta comfortable and I'm not sure where to start.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly, with a 5+ gallon tank with a filter, it will cut down on your maintenance by A LOT. You will not be needing to do 100% water changes so you can pick any substrate you want, whether it be glass marbles, the gravel you see in the stores, or natural soil, or even sand.

Secondly, one of the most important changes is LIGHTING. Most tank kits do not come with a light for plants. You need to find a bulb that has a 6500K temperature, which should be available at most fish stores.

So far I find the best plants for beginners (In my personal experience, and in no particular order) are: Water Wisteria, Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Java Moss, and a Marimo Moss ball

Good luck with your tank :D I'm sure King will love his new digs :p

#3 ·
Is the lamp for the fish or the plants? I've read that excessive lighting is stressful for bettas.

I ordered some marimos a while back and I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I will look into the plants you listed, though. Thank you!

Is there any brand/model of filter that you would suggest? I don't want to use a filter that will create too strong of a current or take up too much space in his tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.