Betta Fish Forum banner

First shipment of bettas

715 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  justmel 
#1 ·
I'm awaiting my first bettas in the mail now. They were sent yesterday. I will be here when they get here being as I'm a homemaker & online college student, I'm always home. I was wondering, is there any special care my babies (no, they are not literally babies, but all my bettas are my babies) will need when they get here? Or do I just acclimate them normally?

#2 ·
Where are they coming from? You probably need to drip acclimate.

I opened the bags and put each one in a solo cup with a drop of Prime. Then I floated the cups and dripped for about an hour or so. One of them wasn't as happy, so I went slower with him.

If they are coming from far away, I would put them in cups and drip acclimate them for an hour, then float and drip for an hour.

#3 ·
They are coming from NY, so not far. For whatever reason tracking the package isn't working for me, but I know they were shipped yesterday. I'm hoping they get here today, but I have no clue when to expect them. The user I am getting them from is in the mountains though, so there is likely a temp difference, but that would probably be about it.

I may still do it nice and slow like you suggest. I will be here all day, and it won't be any trouble at all to do it that way. I can take it just as slow as they need it.

#4 ·
I would do the floated cup and drip method then. Drop of Prime in the cup, float the cup in the tank (I use a clothespin attached to the side to keep it upright), give them about 15-20 minutes, then start adding tank water. About a tablespoon or so every ten minutes. You can suck out some water from the cup with a turkey baster if it gets too full. Go slow, it would be a pity to get them so far and then shock them.

If anyone seems freaked out or ill, go VERY slowly.

Also, make sure to put plastic wrap over the cups so they can't jump out. Don't ask how I know that. One of mine waited for me to leave the room briefly, and then hopped into the tank.

#5 ·
Thank you VJM, some good points there. I've gotten better at covering them since I lost my first female that jumped, but I may have been so excited I didn't think about it. Since I was planning on putting their QT bowls in a big bucket of water that was for their bowls doing things this way won't change my plans much at all.

#7 ·
I don't think they are showing today. I have everything set up & ready to go as soon as they get here. I wish the USPS web site would work so I could track the package!

#10 ·
Aquabid.com......lol......and I'm laughing because what can start as browsing can become a purchase and then an addiction pretty quickly (not that I'm speaking from experience.....) ;-)

#9 ·
Gary I got mine from the classified thread on here. If you watch there are often members looking for new homes for their bettas or have ones they breed and raised for sale. You will also find everyone talking about aquabid. I haven't ordered any from them yet, but know I will be soon. There are also many online stores that sell them, just google them. You will likely find the best quality fish here and on aquabid though.

#11 ·
lol catwoman. I only browse when I have no money! If I see a betta I want I watch the bids and when I have the money I will get it, but I keep myself from impulse buying by not even looking when I have money. From what I have seen you've got yourself some gorgeous bettas though

#12 ·
ok, I know I am probably worrying out of hand, but my bettas still aren't here. How long should they be ok? I know if they get super hot or cold that would change, but saying shipping condition were fine, if they were shipped Tuesday they should still be fine, right?

#13 ·
Got the shipment today. the 3 females were DOA, but the male was feisty and flaring while in his shipping bag. I had another friend that sent me a fish yesterday and also arrived DOA. Not a good day with 4 dead bettas.

Once my new boy calms down a little I will try and get some pictures and get them posted.

#16 ·
The surviving one is a male, so he wouldn't go into the community tank. He is definitely in QT. While most are in QT for a couple weeks I'll leave him longer. I think it was just getting stuck in the mail. He's still showing his stress strips and acclimating in these pics, but here's a few. I think we're going to name him Hades.

Attachments

#18 ·
Sounds more like a bad week than. Everyone seems to be having bad luck with their bettas this week. Sorry about your girls yesterday. The betta in your avvie is precious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.