Housing
What size is your tank? 3gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your Betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your Betta fish?Tetra Betta Min Tropical Melody, Hikari-Bio Pure Brine Shrimp, Frozen Glass-worms white mosquito larvae
How often do you feed your Betta fish?twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?N/A
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?API Aquarium Salt, Top Fin Water Dechlorinator, Tetra Betta Safe, API Stress Coat+, API Stress Zyme+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?I used Jungle Quick Dip 5-N-1 Test Strips

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A
When did you start noticing the symptoms? N/A
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A
I just got Rudy yesterday from Petsmart. At the store I did notice that the fish in the tanks along the wall that alot of them were dead, none of the Bettas were but the cups they are housed in were dirty. When I got home with Rudy and taking a closer look , I noticed his cup was very cloudy, a thick cloudiness and had several droppings (#2) in it, and had a strong odor more funkier than normal. Once I had him acclimated to his new tank water, he swam around staying to one side of the tank. I thought he was just nervous and scared and I wasnt helping just staring at him waiting for him to relax so I left the room, when I came back 30 mins. later, he was floating at the top corner by the side of the filter upside down (head down towards the bottom of the tank and tail up towards the top of the tank). He remained this way I assume all night because this morning he was in the same area and position. He has moved to the other side of the tank and was floating normally for the last hour but has gone back to floating upside down.His scales are sticking out and he has a few holes in some areas of his fins plus he has not eaten anything I but in the tank for him. Any help of what is wrong with Rudy is greatly appreciated and needed, I'm new to the fish world so I need all the help I can get, Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
When you say his scales are sticking out, does he look like the photo below? This indicates a serious condition called "pineconing" and dropsy.

I would STOP the aquarium salt. It contains sodium, which puts stress on the kidneys, and can cause fluid retention and bloating.

I would try using Epsom salt. It has fluid reducing effects, so it may help with the buoyancy issues and fluid retention. However, it won't treat the underlying condition that's causing the pineconing/dropsy. And, unfortunately, by the time they start to pinecone, the internal organs are struggling to function properly.

Here's one way to add Epsom salt to his tank:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons Epsom salt to one gal of conditioned water.
  2. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  3. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
    (This will bring the dosage to 1 tsp/gal.)
  4. Tomorrow, put a small amount of tank water into a cup.
    Stir in 3 teaspoons Epsom salt. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved!
    Over the course of an hour (or more), slowly pour the solution into the tank.
    (This will bring the dosage to 2 tsp/gal.)
  5. Every other day, do a 50% water change every day, using this premixed treatment water.
    (This can be done for 14 days, if needed.)
Epsom salt is inexpensive, and you can get it at supermarkets and grocery stores. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Since it doesn't contain sodium, it won't stress his kidneys (like aquarium salt does). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

Also, feed small meals of high-quality high-protein foods. The mosquito larvae that you have are EXCELLENT! This is what they eat in nature, so you're giving him good nutition that's easily digestible. If he doesn't eat, simply remove the food and try again later.

You can also cover the top of the tank with plastic vegetable wrap (Saran wrap). This will increase humidity levels, and make it easier to breathe. Be sure to leave several inches of air between the water and wrap, so your fish can breathe!

Putting the tank in a dim/darkened and quiet location may also help calm him.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.