Betta Fish Forum banner

our rescue mission =)

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  veganchick 
#1 · (Edited)
:blueyay: loppy656 and I are going on a rescue mission to rescue fish that might not make it at the pet stores. For instance, I had seen 12 dead bettas at one petstore and the rest where sick. We are planning on getting the sick bettas that have a chance of surviving and nursing them back to health and then giving them to good homes :wave:
please dont say any rude comments about our idea :greenyay::love:
if you want to you should do the same thing for the sake of the betta fish
:thankyou:

#2 ·
Go for it!!

#3 ·
ok we will

#4 ·
i love bettas

#5 · (Edited)
I hope you don't take this as a rude comment, but from the sellers stand point this isn't the best idea. I do understand fully the need to make the fish that you see better. But all the store sees is ... oh the betta shelves are empty. Time to order another 50. The better route is going to be to talk to the managers. Show them the shabby fins and gasping fish. If they don't even care about the fish, they will see that the 20 fish at 3.99 each are never gonna make them a profit. Either way, by guilt or by their wallets they will do something. If that does fail, call your local ASPCA chapter. They have the means to take legal action if a store owner/manager refuses to do anything.

Bottom line don't think about the 10 fish you're trying to save, think about the next lineup of potential victims.

#7 ·
That is what I had thought too. I mean, you are just encouraging them to hurt/kill more bettas by purchasing bettas from them. As much as I hate to say this, it is in many ways just better to leave the bettas there - and as okijapan said - talk to the manager. If the bettas are in that condition and don't sell, they are less likely to get more/as many into the store in the future - helping bettas all around from being in those horrible conditions.

#8 ·
i never looked at it that way but at my local petsmart they get a new shipment every thursday anyways

#9 ·
But from experience working in retail - the less they sell - the less likely they are to order as many or any at all. No manager of a store wants to keep something they don't sell. It is a waste of money for them - especially in our crappy economy today. For all we know the shipment could be a smaller one that they get in.

#12 ·
It is a vicious never ending process. People go to the store and see them in such poor condition. They buy them with the idea of being a good person and saving/helping them. I do think it is a good idea to help them and turn them into something beautiful. It is a double edged sword.

#13 ·
if you talk to the manager you could see if you could have the really sick bettas for a discount-I know people who have done that and it worked. I think a really good Idea woul be to go there a couple times a week and change the bettas water. I think it would help a TON

#14 ·
What I do is a modified version of this idea. My Petco is actually really fairly good with betta care. They look like they clean the cups, and most of the fish are healthy. I think that the sick ones probably came that way...and although they could do with some heat, they do a better job caring for them than anywhere else. So, if I go in and see a sick one I don't feel bad about purchasing it because it is usually not their fault. I plan on asking for a discount the next time though...I haven't done this in a while.

Basically, if it is a "good" store, you don't have to feel bad about promoting bad practices and you can still save the bettas that may die if not treated correctly- and we all know that this works better at home than if they are treated at the store.

I still find it very hard to resist saving the others though...like someone said this really is a double edged sword :(

#15 ·
thats a good idea

#16 ·
You could try the humane society they might try to stop the petstore from killing the poor defensles fishies

#19 ·
I thought that they didn't classify fish as "animals" and therefore won't help....at least that's what I heard and I've never seen them helping fish....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.