Betta Fish Forum banner

New 12 Gal Project

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  hmboyz 
#1 ·
Just happened to go into a Fresno LFS and browse for find the Marineland 21 gal eclipses for $99. As I've seen those puppies go for $200 at other places, I snagged one!

So, expect this to be a project thread for a 12 gal naturally planted tank ;)

#3 ·
Maybe they are going to divide it?

#6 ·
Below is the tank, empty, as I am not at my apt but down on the farm. I took it out and plugged it in to check the lighting, but to also make sure it fit on the bookshelf it will be on. It does! and it looks pretty sleek as the bookshelf is black and 32" tall which is a nice height for viewing.

Tomorrow I hunt for either Eco-Complete or Flourite. Black, I think, will be my color. Also tomorrow I look at decor. Since I don't have the money to buy a large piece of driftwood nor the time to boil it, I'll be going with a resin piece. Possible the one below from Petsmart.

As far as stocking, RCS and mickey mouse platys to go with the DT Gyarados and the snail. Possibly guppies if they are better suited than the platys? I'm open to advice on platys or guppies.

When I get up to my apt Sat morning I am immediately tearing down my 5 gal and setting up this one. The 5 is going to Brother in Fresno, who said he would like to watch Ariel my female dalmation VT.

Some black gravel from her cycled setup will be mixed with the substrate for this tank to help seed the bacteria. Also all of the water from the 5 (except for a small amount that will cover the gravel, plants and stock in transport) will also go in the 12 to help seed. finally I'll be squeezing filter juice on the bio-wheel for even more bacteria.

My plants have been propagating like mad, so Java moss, Java fern (reg and lace types), Amazon Sword, Riccia and Anubias (broad leaf and nana) will be transplanted in too.

I'll let it run for 24 hrs before placing Gyarados and Sam the snail in. I know that sounds like a short amount of time, but with the cycled gravel, water, filter and plants I'm thinking they'll be alright as the sole inhabitants for a few weeks.

I love setting up tanks :)

Attachments

#7 ·
I'll let it run for 24 hrs before placing Gyarados and Sam the snail in. I know that sounds like a short amount of time, but with the cycled gravel, water, filter and plants I'm thinking they'll be alright as the sole inhabitants for a few weeks.

I love setting up tanks :)
You should be just fine. I placed some of my cycled gravel, one ornament and fluval bio balls from my old 5 gallon filter to my 14 gallon setup. In about 2 weeks I noticed green algae growth all along the front of my glass, heater and thermometer. My boy and his platy tankmates are thriving

#8 ·
Alright, spent almost all of my remaining christmas/b-day cash at Petco and Petsmart today. I got just about everything I need, so I'm excited! I decided on red Flourite because the only place that has Eco-Complete charges TWICE the amount of what anyone else in their right minds would. Because of that, I went with a different centerpiece that is a grey resin faux stump instead of the red one. It's pretty big, but it'll make a nice centerpiece and has loads of holes and hideaways for the community to take solace in. Coupled with the red Flourite that will be mixed with the Swift creek gravel, it'll have a very nice riverbed look.

I bought some plants as the buy two get the 3rd free deal is going on at Petco right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking them back. The log is pretty big and I can't have too much going on plant wise or else it will detract from the fish and the log.
That said-
Background: amazon swords and broad leaf anubias.
Mid: Java ferns, reg and lace
Fore: A few smooth river rocks with some java moss and riccia attached. Also an anubias nana on the log and some moss on the log too

As for stocking-
Gyrados the DT
Sam the snail
8 RCS
3 Mickey Mouse Platies, 1 M and 2 F

Attachments

#9 ·
I've been busy and had no time for updates. Essentially though Saturday I ran up the 12 gal, tore down the 5.5 and the 2.5 gal tanks, quickly set up the new tank and went back to the valley. Then on Saturday night I set up the 5.5 (it's in another thread entitled Ariel's New Home) before jumping on a train Sunday and going back up tomy place, where I worked on the new tank.

Whew.

The tank is pretty much cycled right now. I added probably about 4 lbs of gravel from the old tank to my (prewashed) Flourite. Also I poured the majority of the old tank's water into this one, squeezed out some of the old filter's water onto the bio-wheel and poured some Microbe-Lift into the tank and onto the bio-wheel.

I ran into a snag with the tank, as the pro filter was far too strong for Gyarados. His enormous fins were like sails, and he kept on flying backwards whenever he tried to swim. Luckily I have the big resin stump in there, because he managed to find good shelter under it before I could fix the problem. What I ended up doing is placing 2 black socks on the intake strainer, which greatly slowed the intake of the water but didn't stop it completely. Also I cut up a chunk of new dish sponge and taped it to the front of outflow so that the water going into the tank arrives a bit more softly. The only thing that's worrying me is that the socks have made the bio-wheel stop turning. Is this a big deal? Should I make further adjustments so that the flow is great enough for the wheel to turn?

Most of my plants are from the old tank. :)
-I have some riccia, 3 kinds of anubias (1 I picked up at Petsmart) and java moss that I secured on the stump with fishing line.
-Amazon swords are towards the back.
-Tons of pups from my old lace and reg java ferns are up front.
-Also I bought two small plants my lfs people call baby bok choy. Not entirely sure what it is (possibly water cabbage, a european bog plant), but I trust them enough to recommend it to me.
-There is some anacharis and a tiny bit of duckweed and riccia loosely floating around at the top. It's mainly to give the DT something to rest on and feel secure in.
-and finally there is a large wad of Christmas moss in front of the stump that I just bought, It's going on a flat piece of driftwood I am boiling right now that's going to hide the heater as well as provide some more moss coverage for the eventual shrimp.

Speaking of shrimp, may be getting about 4 Amanos tomorrow. In about a week I'll then pick up some RCS and after that the Platies will go in.

Attachments

#12 ·

The water bottle thing didn't work due to the way the filter is built into the hood.

The wood was a fast boil, so I was able to line it with the Christmas moss and stick it in right now. It's hiding the heater/intake strainer. I had some spare moss and tucked it into the stump at the top. Hopefully it'll grow in there (it gets light) so I'll have moss coming out the top.

Apologies for the crappy pic. I need to figure out pictures for this one since it's got a different lighting setup.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.