Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #20311 
Cey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhylis View Post
DOA. Thanks USPS. Thanks so much.
Ugh!!!!! I was just reading about the whole shipping fiasco. You ordered a new betta? That's incredibly depressing. May I ask what betta you were getting? I realize it's a moot point, there won't be another betta identical to the guy you wanted. Inviting you to rant more if you'd like.

USPS has gone downhill since about... 2007 is the last time I had a good shipping experience with them, truth be told. I don't know what changes they've made in the past 8 years, but the changes have been ****.

I would really like to see a lawsuit against USPS, myself.
Cey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #20312 
peacefulchaos

Sigh... You know... It sucks to do everything right.

It pisses me off we have people with bettas in you know, .3 gallon non heated containers with a water change every time Hayleys comet appears. I hate that I do everything right - weekly water changes, proper diet (people always say if they needed to be an animal they'd like to be one of my fish because of how varied the diet is combined with the generous space), understocked tanks, and so many other things and my poor betta still gets SWD. I didn't overfeed. There is no way I overfed. there is no way it was ammonia. There is no way it was dirty gravel.

This isn't just me feeling sorry for myself, it is for pretty much everyone whi has had a sick fish or lost a fish, particularly bettas. They are kept in vases. They are kept in tiny containers. But still. Still. I've heard of bettas in those less than ideal situations living for a long time. Much longer than youd expect.

I hate seeing people who do things correctly get these kinds of results. Either way it's awful, but I feel extra awful when they do it the right way and tragedy still hits them.

Last edited by peacefulchaos; 01-29-2015 at 04:59 PM.
peacefulchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #20313 
Tress

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
That Elive system is the absolute stupidest thing ever. Many of the stores here bought them thinking they would be better for the betta fish. They are a disaster and most have been removed. Why pump tons of air into a tiny little cup? What good does that do? It just makes the fish miserable. They should have designed them as a drip water in/ drip water out system from a sump filter. They are a nightmare to maintain according to lfs employees. Too bad so many stores had good intentions on helping the betta but got ripped off by these guys.
I agree. My store realized that the air was way too strong and made sure it didn't stick in the water. I think the LED lights provided a tiny amount of heat for the poor things so they were a little more active - though during the time they had the system on it was tourist season so the bettas got a little more water changes compared to their once every 2 weeks change...

To be honest, it's not surprising if you look at what Elive sells. All "betta" things are basically half gallons. They even had a "double bowl" 2.5g with a .5g center bowl for a betta to be surrounded by a shoal of fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulchaos View Post
This isn't just me feeling sorry for myself, it is for pretty much everyone who has had a sick fish or lost a fish, particularly bettas. They are kept in vases. They are kept in tiny containers. But still. Still. I've heard of bettas in those less than ideal situations living for a long time. Much longer than you'd expect.
You don't hear about how many don't survive. Also 95% of these people are buying cheap VTs, which being closer to the origins of the betta, are hardy as [censor]. Those who try to keep the newer, fancier types usually get frustrated because they die in less than 6 months.
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #20314 
peacefulchaos

I do hear it. Except most of those people aren't willing to do what is necessary even after they find out what they did wrong. I tried telling someone at a place I frequent, for example, why her goldfish had a bent spine. It's in a 1 gallon. With no filter. She is a very nice person, don't get me wrong... but when you buy an animal you are making a commitment to that animal. It doesn't matter if it's a horse, dog, fish, chinchilla. She says she loves the fish, and I tried telling her nicely that goldfish need 30-55 gallons (depends on who you ask, depends on the type of goldfish) and 100% water changes every month is not enough. She wasn't willing to do it. "Too much work".
I find a lot of the people - not all of them - who don't do it right and do have many deaths are even more resistant to taking care of the animal the proper way.

Last edited by peacefulchaos; 01-29-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #20315 
Greenapp1es

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulchaos View Post
I do hear it. Except most of those people aren't willing to do what is necessary even after they find out what they did wrong. I tried telling someone at a place I frequent, for example, why her goldfish had a bent spine. It's in a 1 gallon. With no filter. She is a very nice person, don't get me wrong... but when you buy an animal you are making a commitment to that animal. It doesn't matter if it's a horse, dog, fish, chinchilla. She says she loves the fish, and I tried telling her nicely that goldfish need 30-55 gallons (depends on who you ask, depends on the type of goldfish) and 100% water changes every month is not enough. She wasn't willing to do it. "Too much work".

I find a lot of the people - not all of them - who don't do it right and do have many deaths are even more resistant to taking care of the animal the proper way.
I do feel for people who find out that they have a pet that they aren't caring for properly - and find out that the care is much greater than they expected. I understand where caring for a goldfish might be "too much work" or too much money if you don't have the resources to increase the tank size.

But - there is a solution. An easy one. GIVE THE ANIMAL TO SOMEONE WHO CAN CARE FOR IT PROPERLY. Offer it up for adoption. Heck, many pet stores accept surrenders of pets from people who can't care for them right. Not being properly informed about your pet at the start of it's care is one thing - but once you ARE informed of it's needs the responsibilty of caring for that pet needs to go to you - or you need to surrender it to someone who can.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #20316 
peacefulchaos

Exactly. I told her give up the goldfish (although if you ask me it is on it's way out already). Get a 10 gallon, get some hardy, small fish, it will be MUCH more enjoyable. She wasn't willing to. She said it was too much work.

And all I could think was... no.. actually.. a goldfish in a 1 gallon is a ridiculous more amount of work than 1 10 gallon tank. XD

The fact is, she wanted a goldfish, she wanted it in a 1 gallon, and she didn't want to fix the fact it was probably poisoned and had a bent spine. And a lot of peole will do it all over again.

There is someone else I know who puts Iridescent sharks in his 75g. Fully knowing they are too big for a 75g. And yes, they have a shortened lifespan and probably an awful quality of life, but it just sucks when bad things happen to the right people.

Last edited by peacefulchaos; 01-29-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #20317 
FishyFishy89

I don't order much online. But I've never had a problem with USPS. Plants and fish have all arrived in good health.
Actually, the 1st time I ordered fish, they didn't do so well, but that was because of the seller. They didn't put bag buddies in the bag and I got baby angels in water with ammonia levels so high that they weren't on the chart. It's a mircale they all made it.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #20318 
katydidmischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cey View Post
USPS has gone downhill since about... 2007 is the last time I had a good shipping experience with them, truth be told. I don't know what changes they've made in the past 8 years, but the changes have been ****.

I would really like to see a lawsuit against USPS, myself.
And their customer service is just as bad. I love the postal workers I interact with at my PO, but the service on the whole is just ridiculous. They've lost and delayed so many packages on me that I try to go UPS or FedEx whenever possible.

I'd so join that lawsuit. Wonder if we could get a class action going.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #20319 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
And their customer service is just as bad. I love the postal workers I interact with at my PO, but the service on the whole is just ridiculous. They've lost and delayed so many packages on me that I try to go UPS or FedEx whenever possible.

I'd so join that lawsuit. Wonder if we could get a class action going.
Our last mailman stole a package, gave it once we complained, then only delivered mail maybe 2-3x a week, usually after 5pm. After the second package went missing we got him fired, and he was replaced by a woman who DELIBERATELY delivers packages to the wrong house. We are (example) 1234 yellow street, and so far she has delivered mail to 8912 yellow, 4235pink street, 3954 green avenue, and once she even delivered it to the children's playground 2 blocks down. Not even a house. We've also received our neighbors boxes quite often. She usually comes between 3/5pm.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou