Betta Fish Forum banner

Airstone?

945 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Calmwaters 
#1 ·
If you have an airstone in a betta tank do they still need to go to the top for air or will they just breathe like other fish? I ask because the new tank I got has a glass top and I worry about air not getting in and was wondering if I should put a small airstone in there that way I would not have to worry about leaving the top off and another fish jumping out. Its a sad thing to find them dried up on the floor.

#2 ·
You should just lower the water level and inch or two. Bettas will always need to come up for air.
Airstones circulate and improve the flow of oxygen through the water, though I've heard some bettas don't like it because it causes too much disturbance in the flow. S/he will still need to breathe from the surface even with an airstone.

#3 · (Edited)
Ok thank you. If I lower the water level do you think it will be ok to keep the glass top on it? There are no holes but the cord from the heater lifts it up on one side about 1/4 inch.

#4 ·
Yeah, your betta needs a little surface area for breathing anyway. :)

Edit: If you're worried about air flow, maybe you can go to a hardware store and get a few holes drilled into the lid?

#5 ·
Yeah, they need surface area. I have an airstone. My HM male hates any kind of bubbles, filters. Etc. So I put it on the other side of the divider where there is a girl. She LOVED it!! So cute, she would bite the bubbles and attack them. So adorable!!!!

#6 ·
Thanks you guys. I think it will be ok with out haveing holes drilled in it the cord for the heater and the airline for the filter lifts the lid up about 1/4 inch and I lowered the water about an ince so the filter would work so I think he will be ok.

#7 ·
Alternatively you could put "feet" on the corners of the glass just enough to raise it 1/4" above the tank. That will cut down on the strain of the cord and allow plenty of air circulation from the surrounding air.
Feet material suggestions: some foam squares/strips/rectangles from meat trays glued together, sharpie marker to color them. Hardware store cork, furniture feet, stack of magnet strips if your tank rim is metal or even felt. Make sure your glue is dry and cured before introducing into the tank area. Stack of custom-cut magnet strips would be my choice.

#9 ·
in the craft stores they sell clear rubber bumpers u can use they self stick

#10 ·
Thanks you guys. I like the clear rubber bumber idea.

#11 ·
i know u can als get em at lowes, or home depot..i think their actually used like under lamps to keep off the tabletop, or behind pics on walls, so they dont mar the wall, but i think u can find them also in hobby store in scrapbook section, their used to magnify letters on a scrapbook page

#12 ·
Gotcha will go look for them tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.