Betta Fish Forum banner

First Girls

919 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Elsewhere 
#1 ·
These are my two new girls! I have no idea what they are, and I could seriously use some help with that, colours and naming! These are my first girls and will be going into a split 10g next week. Right now one is in a 1g tank and the other is in... A beer mug. Never been used, my parents bought it in Germany and it was the only thing big enough... It was soaked for two hour and then thoroughly rinsed. Here they are! (Please forgive my photo spamming) With the first girl that I upload, are her eyes a problem? I didn't notice them until I got outside after buying her, but I still didn't want to take her back... Is it just a pigmentation?

Unnamed Fishy One (she was camera shy):

Unnamed Fishy Two (the most photogenic fish I have ever had):

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi ! Nice girls you have there!

They're gorgeous!! You have an elephant ear there, with the long fins. She's nice :)

I don't recommend bettafix bc it has tea tree oil which can cause damage to the labrynth organ overtime. Someone here might have a better treatment, right now just keep her warm and in clean water, I don't know if it is the beginnings of popeye.
You know they both will need heated tanks though I hope. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Oi, that sucks... I was hoping it was just her eye... I can't get out to my LFS for a bit, do you know any home remedies or something they might sell at a grocery store?

And right now they're not in heated tanks because it was supposed to only be for a max of two days until the tank was ready, but both of my tanks are heated, one at 80, the other shifting from 78-79 every couple of days.

**Edit: Can she still go in the split tank, or is popeye contagious?

#5 ·
It does look a bit like popeye hmmm... well, first off, I'd start by isolating her. You don't know what caused the popeye and it may or may not be contagious, but its preferable not to take the risk. If you can't get your hands on any meds, for now keep her warm and try treating with aquarium salt. Should prevent it from getting any worse.
When you can, try to get both Maracyn 1 and 2 and use them in combination. Should take care of it! :)

They're very lovely girls btw! Wish they had them over on this side of Canada too lol every female I've seen here is practically dying in pet stores because they don't value them as much as the males. -__-;

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll start with AQ Salt today and clean her little beer mug tomorrow, try to keep putting warm water in until I get the meds and a small heater... I went to two separate fish stores to get these girls, both of them in a fresh shipment, so I snatched them up, hoping they were healthier than they would be in a couple weeks XD Any name suggestions for them? So far my mum has come up with some pretty terrible names XD

#10 ·
Thank you for telling me that! I will definitely write it down somewhere to remember it... There's been a setback with the tanks, so the girls will be in their mini tanks for a day longer :( Soon, though! Soon their tanks will be ready! But the upside is that since my dad cut the Plexiglas wrong we have to go back to the town where the fish store is, so while he's getting Plexiglas, I'll be getting fish meds! :D

#13 ·
I have named them Themis and Artemis! Themis, the Titan of Law and Order, is the pink girl with the eye problem and Atremis, the Goddess of the Hunt, is the EE girl. I just put them in their divided tanks... Issues... I thought the Plexiglas was shaded, but it was just the plastic covering that looks like that :/ I got new plants today and I'm getting more next week, they cover some of the divider, but they are just freaking out. I know it's to be expected, but I'm just worried because it will be clear forever I believe. Does anyone have some tips on how to cover up the divider, make it not see-through? Is there a type of spray-paint or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.