Betta Fish Forum banner

Baby Betta Question

740 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  futurevet 
#1 ·
Hi, new here! I have kept bettas for a while but never baby bettas. I am feeding him brine shrimp when they hatch out, but other than that, just crushed flakes. He is in a long flat critter keeper right now, but I have a 10 gallon tank that is being set up. Today we are getting new plants for it! Anyways, since he is so small, I was wondering if I should leave him in the smaller critter keeper, rather than the 10 gallon for a while. The only problem is that I am going on vacation soon here and no one will be coming to clean his tank.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure about the takn changes in the 10 gallom, but baby bettas release stunt hormones and if kept in a tank for too long can become stunted and cause other problems.

I have mine in a 1.75 gallon with every day changes, but you might be okay with a 10 gallon and filter.
Is he going to be bed for the time you are gone?

#5 ·
hi, did you mean that if the baby is kept in the 10g, it will be stunted in growth and would not grow to its normal size?

Or did you mean that the baby should be kept in a large tank ad not the critter keeper e.g. 5g and up so as to allow it to overcome the stunt hormone and grow to its full size?

#4 ·
The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.

#10 ·
Yay, an experienced betta sitter. I'm so happy for you. It will be much less stressful knowing you have an experienced person taking care of your little one while your away & you can call to check on your baby. As for your question about if there could be anything else you should be doing, it sounds like you doing everything already. So, my advice is to just keep doing what you're doing now.

Your 10g tank looks great. I like the black gravel with just a few bigger rocks around the plants. I'm not a sponge filter expert, but their are a few people on here that know quite a bit about them. Just use the search for sponge filters.

Oh & I still haven't figured out how to post multiple pics in one comment. Apparently I'm good at fish & bad at technology, lol.

#11 ·
Ok! Thank you! The tank isn't fully finished yet, I found a big reddish rock that has a hole that I probably will put in, and I think I am getting a plant to put in the back. Or I might switch things out every now and then so he doesn't get bored!

Haha, I am going to figure out that picture problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.