Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #1971 
zenquarium

https://vid.me/4LEU

Short video of my fluval spec III. It has a waterfall in it. Let me know what you all think.
zenquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #1972 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenquarium View Post
https://vid.me/4LEU

Short video of my fluval spec III. It has a waterfall in it. Let me know what you all think.
Very nice, but why do you have a male and female in the same tank? You do realize that you'll probably end up with one or both of them being dead eventually. I can see the male is already stressed out with her presence and she's quite dull in colorations.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #1973 
zenquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Very nice, but why do you have a male and female in the same tank? You do realize that you'll probably end up with one or both of them being dead eventually. I can see the male is already stressed out with her presence and she's quite dull in colorations.
Her colors are like that I know because I raise her since she was a fry. She was a slow eater compare to her siblings.

As for the male I think he has downs or a mutation. He swims upside down sometime, his face looks off, and his pectoral fins are slightly fused. He is not aggressive compare to his siblings.

They both came from the same spawn that I breed. They are close to 2 years old.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #1974 
Julie7778

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenquarium View Post
Her colors are like that I know because I raise her since she was a fry. She was a slow eater compare to her siblings.

As for the male I think he has downs or a mutation. He swims upside down sometime, his face looks off, and his pectoral fins are slightly fused. He is not aggressive compare to his siblings.

They both came from the same spawn that I breed. They are close to 2 years old.
If they both are having problems, wouldn't it be best to put them separately? The tank is gorgeous! I just think it's better if you take 1 or the other out
Julie7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #1975 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
If they both are having problems, wouldn't it be best to put them separately? The tank is gorgeous! I just think it's better if you take 1 or the other out
I agree, if the male has a hard time swimming I would place him in a smaller tank so he wont have to use up a lot of his energy in such a large tank (I cannot believe I am saying that cause normally I/we would like to see them in a large tank.) Haha
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #1976 
zenquarium

Thank you for the advice and compliment. I did originally have them in separate aquariums. The male was living in a cherry shrimp tank when he was about a month old because of his deformities. I haven't seen him eat any cherry shrimp in fact the population of the cherry shrimp increased.(Even when little baby shrimps are next to him he doesn't eat them).

The female I took her out of a sorority since she was not eating enough. She would never swim up to eat during feeding time, only waiting for the leftovers on the gravel if there was any.

So eventually I move the male to the current aquarium with originally two guppies and move the female to the cherry shrimp tank.

Guppies gave birth and I notice he does not eat the babies guppies. I put a mirror in front of him he doesn't flare. He has always been the same since he was a fry. A chill funny looking betta that swims upside down or sideways. I would suspect swim blabber issue but he can swim up and down with ease.

I move the female in the current aquarium and I have not observe any changes in behavior and its probably been 8 months.

But both act the same since birth and they are about 2 years old. I have spawn betta since 1999. I would never fight them or subject to cruelty.

I can separate them but from my understanding most wild bettas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_betta) are not as aggressive as the splenden betta due to selective spawning for betta aggressiveness and eventually they are the current colorful splenden betta we buy in the fish market.

I think the male betta may have the not aggressive gene or he just mentally challenge.

But If I do see sight of aggression or stress then I will separate them. At night lay next to each other near the intake filter. None of there scales and fins are damage in the past 8 months.

I hope that ease your worries.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 AM   #1977 
greyko

This is my tank so far. No fish yet!

Mauva stricta up the back, I liked the dark greens and purples.
In the middle is some driftwood with anubis, and up the front is a banana lily and lilaeopsis.

My aim would be a nice rock wall at the back with some moss. That might have to be a long term project. :D

Last edited by greyko; 08-30-2015 at 02:08 AM.
greyko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou