Betta Fish Forum banner

Natural coloring or something wrong? And flaring on only one side???

830 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Twilight Storm 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone!

My betta Caravaggio has developed some orangish-colored scales/patches on his head. I'm wondering whether it's natural coloring (he's not done growing yet) or if there's something wrong with him. He's in a 3 gallon heated tank.

Also, he's recently started flaring properly(he's growing up!!) and his frill only comes out on one side. Is this normal? Is something wrong?

Pictures of the coloration I'm worried about:

See less See more
#2 ·
At first I was thinking ick, but the spots aren't white....it doesn't look like natural coloring to me, though. They actually look like sores of some kind. :eek:

#3 ·
I'm not sure what will cause the off colored scales.

One of my fish had a problem with only being able to flare on one side. When I moved him to a bare quarantine tank to treat him with aquarium salt (1tsp per gallon) for 10 days for a cloudy eye problem he got, it fixed his flare too. I exercised him with a mirror a bit more too to strengthen that muscle.

I don't know what causes either of the problems you are having with your fish though. He has an adorable face btw. Hopefully someone will be able to help you.

I just wanted to share my experience with the gill because it might be related to the scale problem. Maybe its funky bacteria in the tank?
My cloudy eye fish did loose his blue iridescent layer from whatever happened in his tank. If it were me I would take down his tank and clean everything really well. I have no idea if that would help you though, so get second opinions.

Good luck with your little cutie :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.