Betta Fish Forum banner

How Much $$ Would it cost to start a Sororitey?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Synthisis 
#1 ·
I want to start one, but i'm not sure if i want to spend alot

#4 · (Edited)
u can get a 10 gallon tank and hood for 30 at petsmart........about 15 for a filter about 15 for a heater
gravel about 5-10 plants about 20

id say about a 100 is on track for the setup UNLESS u can get a used setup for less that comes with everything

also, besides craigslist you can check on ebay for a local pickup tank, or check freecycle.org for your city and state
people give things away for FREE on there and ive seen tanks on there too

#5 ·
You can save a lot of money using home made plants! Get foliage from a craft store that does not have wire in it. I just set up a ten gallon and this is the breakdown

$30 -10 gallon tank with lighted hood (petsmart)
$3 - for 2 light bulbs for hood (Walmart)
$12 - 25 pounds of gravel (walmart)
$16 - filter (Petsmart)
$15 - heater (walmart)
$15 - plastic foliage with out wires (Michaels)
$4 - aquarium safe silicone (Lowes)
$4x4 - each female betta is about $4 no matter where you go

Total $107 + tax. Now if you find any of these items on sale the price will drop. Dont forget aquarium salt, water conditioner, and betta food. Price all depends on how much you buy.

#6 ·
I would definitely prowl Craigslist. Used fish tanks run for wayyyy cheaper, no matter how long they have been used for. In fact, since so many people jump into fishkeeping without researching and get frustrated and quit, there are a lot of nearly new tanks that come with all the food, water conditioner etc.

When I am thinking of getting a tank, I usually browse CL daily for about a week before I get an idea of what a good price is, find the pefect tank at a nearby location etc.

Best of luck!

#7 ·
ya i agree with kelly, i got most of mine off craigslist

#8 ·
I agree, look on CL and be patient! I got a 20 gallon with hood, light, gravel, 3 plants, a decoration, whisper filter, whisper air pump, bubble wand, stand, magnet tank scrubber, double sided background, net, and gravel vacuum for $40 worth of trade. (I traded some things I listed on CL for her tank). Best was to do it is to post a wanted add in the pet and general section. The lady I got the 20 from replied to my wanted add.

Now my 10 gallon tank cost a bit more because I was impatient and bought everything new. I got the tank and hood at a Black Friday sale for $15, light bulbs for $4, gravel was $13, filter $10 on Black Friday, heater was $20, thermometer for $3, and I made plants from ones I bought at Michales for around $15. So my 10 gallon cost almost double what my 20 was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.