Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding my female and male betta: filter, food and heater questions

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Katibre 
#1 ·
I've had my tank setup for 2 months now, tank size: 5.5 gal, no plants, chemicals used: neutral regulator, change water once a week/bi-weekly. I have a 10 gal whisper filter and a submersible preset heater.

The last time I breed bettas I was 13, I managed to have free swimming fry but I fed them a paste that clouded the water and they died. Now 14 years later I am attempting to breed bettas again.

As of now I have the male in the 5.5 gal tank without gravel. I am accumulating the female and will put her into the breeding box. I know that I need to put half of a styrofoam cup for the betta to build it's betta nest in, but I am waiting a week to see if the female develops eggs first.

Questions: #1 Should I keep the filtration as it is and unplug the filter when I have fry or put cheese cloth/ pantyhose around it?
#2 I have purchased frozen baby brine shrimp for the fry but should I buy different food for the parents I have pellets and flakes at the moment.
#3 Will the preset heater at 76/78 degrees be a high enough temperature or should I switch to a heater I can set in the 80's.
#4 Where can I purchase almond leaves? I've researched that they are great for the breeding tank.

Thank you,

Katibre

See less See more
#2 ·
Questions: #1 Should I keep the filtration as it is and unplug the filter when I have fry or put cheese cloth/ pantyhose around it?
It's best not to use any filtration until fry are (at least) free swimming.

#2 I have purchased frozen baby brine shrimp for the fry but should I buy different food for the parents I have pellets and flakes at the moment.
Feed parents/adults frozen foods

#3 Will the preset heater at 76/78 degrees be a high enough temperature or should I switch to a heater I can set in the 80's.
80's is better.

#4 Where can I purchase almond leaves? I've researched that they are great for the breeding tank.
IAL is not a must for breeding, though it may help.
If you can't get IAL online (sorry, forgot where) you can use oak leaves instead.

#8 ·
50 watts is fine for a 5.5 gal tank if it is adjustable.
I used an adjustable 50 watt heater in my 2.5 gal quarantine tank and it worked great.
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
I'm not familiar with the gadgets you asked about. But in general I prefer (for breeding) shallow and wide compared to slim and deep - though they can be bred in deep waters. IMO you can postpone water changes in shallow waters (just in case) because more oxygen gets diluted compared to deep waters.

#18 ·
I have a whisper power filter, I want to cut up a sponge and put it in my filter, so not to suck up the fry. I'd rather save the money if I can. It would be nice not to have to purchase a sponge filter and airline tubing and pump if i can use the filter I have already.

#19 ·
You don't really need a filter/pump. That's optional - though it helps dilute oxygen..... I don't use pumps until my fry are 1cm+. Just do regular water changes and they'll do fine.

I live in the tropics, so I don't use heaters, pumps, IAL, half styrofoam cups. Sometimes I don't even use plants and keep everything bare (big/long tanks). Learn as many methods as possible then tweak it to your condition. You need to find what best works for you. :lol:

#23 ·
My male betta has stopped producing his bubble nest, not sure what I should to to help the breeding pair. I feed them blood worms daily.
I did a water change today and tonight I unplugged the filter. I let the female out of her breeder box to see what they would do. The male betta is just following the female around and sometimes flares at her.

Any ideas?

He started nipping at her so I put her back in the breeding box

Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.