Betta Fish Forum banner

Tank Mate Suggestions

7K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  crowntaillove3 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm going to get a new betta in about two months, and I was wondering what other fish I should get. I'm thinking about some balloon bellied mollies, some zebra danios, and some ghost shrimp. They would probably be in a five gallon tank with filtration. Are those good choices, and what else would work?

#57 ·
I live in the ACT, which is not exactly a sunny paradise. :p It's dry and dusty in summer, and freezing in winter. Autumn, which it is right now, is temporarily pleasant, but it won't last. :p

I'm honestly not sure on how two gouramis would get on in that tank - I'd start a thread asking about it in the Other Fish section of the forum, and maybe PM Olympia. :)

#58 ·
Thanks! I wish it was fall. Right now it is early spring and it is snowing like crazy. I already have at least 6 inches.

#60 ·
Yeah. Everything I've recently heard says so. I can't wait to stock up! I'm planning to go to petco on Wednesday, but my school had a snow day today and the roads actually aren't that bad. I might go today if I'm lucky! Thanks for all of the help to make this possible!:thankyou::yourock:

#61 ·
Okay! Status report. My friend has snails coming out of her ears, and she brought four of them for the tank at school. She only put two of them in, and her and bryanacute didn't want the other two. So, she asked me if I wanted to take them! I said yes, and now I have these two mystery snails and I want to make sure that they can go in my tank. Would these be okay in my 15 gallon with the other fish? And I'm going to get the fish today! Soooooo excited!

#62 ·
Update: my 15 gallon has been stocked for six days, and all of the fish are alive and well! Actually, they aren't well. The PetSmart "manager" kept on saying that I needed more fish and that the gouramis needed to be kept in at least pairs, so I walked out of there with two dwarf gouramis, three guppies, three long finned red minor tetras (if I said all of those names in the right order), and five ghost shrimp, one of which was pregnant. I knew I was over stocking, but my mom and I felt uncomfortable saying that I had too many fish to the lady "helping" us. One or two of the shrimp have already died. Does the mother shrimp die right after she lays her eggs? And my gouramis, Sir Bubbles and Squirt have been kind of territorial to each other. Squirt is always in the back of the bottom of the tank, and whenever Sir Bubbles comes near him he always chases him away. I've even seen Squirt try to nip Sir Bubbles' fins! Help.

#63 ·
Sir Bubbles passed away last night. It might have been from the common bacteria infection that dwarf gouramis often get, or it might have been from Squirt's bullying. My tank was overstocked anyways. SIP, Sir Bubbles. :cry:

#64 ·
gouramis are like bettas are in the same family and males do not get along so well, if the tank is not cycled all the shrimp will die they can not tolerate the water changes that happen during cycling or I should say it's very rare that they will, if you have a test kit i would check the water every day or every other at the least and be ready to do water changes have plenty of conditioner on hand, the last few days of cycling can be pretty hard on fish, when in doubt do 50% water change wait a few hours and test again

#65 ·
All the advice given here is great and it is given by knowledgeable people with nothing to gain.

On the other hand:

1. Pet store employees are there to sell fish and make profits for the company and commissions for themselves (a PetSmart employee told me there is *no* need to cycle a tank before adding fish....hogwash!).

2. Pet store employees can't be expected to be knowledgeable in all areas...after all, they have to sell fish, puppies, kittens, birds, reptiles and all their supplies. They are, as the saying goes, often "Jacks of all trades; masters of none."

3. If you have a local fish store (LFS), you may pay more but you're paying for knowledge; they love fish and don't want to see them going to conditions where they won't thrive

4. Shrimp do not tolerate changing conditions so only put them in an established/cycled/stable aquarium (I learned this one firsthand after killing 12 in a cycling tank).

5. Shrimp are sensitive to copper so you can't use any plant fertilizers, medications or supplements with copper.

6. Some shrimp species need acidic and some need alkaline; some need cooler temps and some warmer. They are like all fish in that they are all different. :)

7. Listen to the people who have actual experience; thank those who don't as you walk out the door.

PS: I have worked in both pet stores and LFS and I know of what I speak.

#67 ·
My shrimp have since died anyway. Thanks for all of the advise!

#68 ·
I have my male in with three small dull guppies in a 5.5 and they love it. They get along well and the water never gets cloudy. For a month, everyone has been fine. I do 50% water change every week, though. That helps.

If you are going to get a guppy (please don't get mollies. They get pretty big... I almost got one and then google pictures of sizes and was surprised) then get a dull one.

I hope I helped! Everyone and every betta is different! If you start seeing aggression, take the guppy out and bring him back.

#69 ·
Um... I already got my tank... I have one dwarf gourami, three male guppies, two golden mystery snails, and three red long finned red minor tetras. Thanks for the input, though! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.