Betta Fish Forum banner

The sad tale of Panda and Creature the cavys

4K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I had Honey (white with black ear). Once we resolved her "allergic to pine" thing, she's been doing wonderful. Since I work nights I felt bad not giving her enough attention. I found an ad, saying they had 2 longhaired guinea pigs, and thought it was perfect!

they came, dropped them off, left.

I examined them as I do with any new animal. Both were terribly boney... Creature (the ginger/white) hurts when you touch her sides or belly... Both reeked so bad of stale urine and feces, both had mats, their nails yellowed, and both on their right hind foot have a sore.

I cleaned them up, got rid of mats, trimmed back some hair... Creature has a rash on her rump. Their feet cleared up very well, and they are on a very good meal plan..
Honey's weight is 1 pound, at a small boned 2 month state :)
Creature bigger boned: 1.4
Panda big boned: 1.9

List so far of possibles and a few definites:
UTI/bladder stones, ovarian cysts/pregnancy, bumblefoot, mats, underweight, vitamin c defficiency....

Panda (black and white with a ginger rump :3 ) will make a good recovery I believe, Creature I am terribly worried about. THIS is pure neglect. :mad: NOT a case of "we have allergies" it is a case of "we don't care for them". After I get them to a vet I'll report back about what's what, what can be done, and how severe Creature really is....
In the mean time, purty pictures, a few videos =D and the drawing I did up of what you cannot see, beneath that fluffy fur :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdq4n21MvHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBkjCsQa0g

EDIT: since last night (Panda 1.9 and Creature 1.4) they are for weight this morning: Panda: 1.7 and Creature 1.6 o.o

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
We're going in tomorrow... I noted that. Wednesday, afternoon. And even if we do diagnose it for sure, tomorrow, I don't have money for meds. I JUST have the money for check ups because for some reason my mind said "owners care for their pets so they wouldnt give away sick pets unless they mentioned the pet is sick" but I guess I forgot there is a huge lack in humanity. :|

Luckily Panda is fine...other than her complaining when I made her have a bath since her fur was so long that her pee was sticking to her x.x yuck! Then she complained when I trimmed her hair.... x.x

#29 ·
We're going in tomorrow... I noted that. Wednesday, afternoon. And even if we do diagnose it for sure, tomorrow, I don't have money for meds. I JUST have the money for check ups because for some reason my mind said "owners care for their pets so they wouldnt give away sick pets unless they mentioned the pet is sick" but I guess I forgot there is a huge lack in humanity. :|
Sorry I read this thread early this morning so I must have glossed over the vet appointment in my sleep haze. I would ask them tomorrow if they have a payment plan available. Most of the vet clinics I've used/shadowed out have a payment plan option. You usually have to pay a certain portion up front but then it's monthly payments after that. Plus the medication might not be terribly expensive.

I was just trying to warn you about the complications with kidney failure. I know when my two pets had the disease it was horrible and I wasn't expecting it to be so awful based on what I had read and heard from the vet.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I hope everything goes okay and the piggies get better.

#30 ·
Yeah - it's nice to know what could happen. That's why I noted I want to be there for her, not come home or wake up to her dead :-( She's again downing the water like no tomorrow... which ends up just going out the other end as fast as she takes it in x.x And it hurts for her to be touched (I would hrut too, if my bones were sticking out). The vet was pretty grim when he told me what it could be... Even if it is ovarian cysts, or diabetes, I won't be able to afford the surgery :( here is a question... if it is something more minor, could I legit put an ad up asking someone to please take her, tell them what happened, and that she needs medical care I wasn't expecting to give so soon, therefore lack the funds? :-( I'd hate to do it... But I would if it meant keeping her alive.

#31 ·
You certainly could put up an ad as long as you were honest about her health. Technically you don't even have to be honest but I don't think that's fair to the new owner or her. It would probably be very difficult to rehome her with her medical problems. Are there any guinea pig rescues in the area? Another idea is to maybe sell things you don't need on craigslist (or the Candian version) to raise some money. You could sell art projects in the classifieds section.

Is her main issue the urine in the blood and excessive thirst? That doesn't sound like ovarian cysts. The main signs of ovarian cysts are hairloss on the sides, behavior changes, and painful to the touch belly. Of course the urinary tract is also right there so that could be whats causing her pain. Only ovarian cysts would require surgery not diabetes. I would wait to see what the doctor says tomorrow before making any major decisions. It turn out that the medicine is not that expensive and that they are willing to work with you in terms of payments. To prepare you, they will need to run tests though to figure out what is wrong which will also cost money. My guess is at the very least they'll need a urine sample to test. If they suspect diabetes they will need to draw some blood. Looking for ovarian cysts will require an ultrasound or an X-ray. I suspect though that they'll start with the urine and then treat her and see if she improves.

#32 ·
Yeah technically the previous owners were not honest :|
They said 70.00 for a checkup, and that is literally...all I have. Unless I want to rack up my credit which I am trying not to touch my card since I've already used it in emergency situations this month.
Does the urine test cost? :-( I really was not expecting this. Really. I contacted the old owners, and left some questions with them like: diet, when they took them to the vet and why, health history, and when and where they got them. I also explained how it's costing me a lot, because she needs vet care asap.

If I have to, I still will try seeing if someone with a good heart (and a better income) will take her.

#33 ·
Yes when they test the urine it will cost some amount of money. I'm not sure how much though. They can't give her any meds without making a diagnosis first and they can't for sure make the diagnosis without doing the test. Just because it sounds like she a UTI doesn't mean they can just prescribe the medicine for it. Go in tomorrow with an open mind. Have a list of all her symptoms handy so you don't forget anything. Ask them if they have a payment plan available. If they want to run tests ask first what they plan on doing and why and also how much it will cost. Then you can make informed decisions.

#34 ·
Sounds good. I've already run by him some things even the guinea site, and people on here mentioned, and I told him I have no clue of her history, or if she was with a male, or anything. It isn't a matter of an open mind... It's a matter of what I can afford. I was able to afford checkups... but I never expected my new pets to be ill right when I got them so it's kind of a "I'm angry" and "I'm worried" and "What if"s :-(

#35 ·
I totally understand. What I meant by keep an open mind was don't be so down already. I know that's hard when your guinea pig is already sick but you don't know that the cost of treatment. Right now you're talking about kidney failure when it could be something much less severe and that may not cost so much to treat. I'm going to say it again just talk to your vet tomorrow, explain the circumstances and discuss possible payment plans. Right now it makes sense to be concerned for your new pet but already thinking about keeping her comfortable and euthanasia costs when you don't even know what's actually going on is getting a little ahead of yourself. I'll keep you and Creature in my thoughts. Sending you good wishes!

#36 ·
I got another problem now... Epcor lied to me, they told me I could put my account (electricity) onto auto withdrawl and they'd remove the 200 deposit. LIES. I now owe 200 by tomorrow :-( now I'm stressed, even more overwhelmed and don't know how to make ANY payments.

#38 ·
Well I won't have much luck without electricity. -.- epcor has royally screwed me over.

and I noticed the guinea site takes forever for a single reply.

#39 ·
Oh man, hope you figure out your electricity. o-O
I'd start looking for a guinea pig/small animal rescue in your area. Even send them a message and see if they could do anything for you. A less overcrowded rescue would probably take the time to help you.

#40 ·
There's only the pound/vet clinic...which is where I went... there literally is no rescue near me I can get to. I did post an ad though...for the sake of the guinea. I explained what happened, and that she needs someone's help asap and hopefully someone'll see it once they post it!! :-( I'd rather this way then let her sit without treatments...

And I am legit being told by 2 people they'll help me but I feel bad enough.

#42 ·
Well, I still have the ad up... because someone who is more experienced, and most of all, more able, should take her :-( someone who is willing to actually take her to the vet... I've always hated accepting help (blame it on my family xD)

#43 ·
Think of it as accepting help for the piggies, not for you. If I didn't live on the other side of the world, I would offer whatever I could. Is there anywhere you can report the previous owners with what you've told us? An RSPCA branch or somesuch?
I would call that electricity company and raise hell til they acknowledge their own rudewordishness and give you some time.

I hope everything works out for you!

#45 ·
Yikes! Sorry to everything you've gone through thus far. I understand the money issue. However, with vets that are still money-hungry you could surrender the poor thing to the vet in the hopes they fix her up and adopt her out. One of the staff might take her. Staff get sick discounts. My cousin worked at the vet here and people sometimes surrendered small animals (before we had a rescue). The small animals would be fixed up and adopted by staff.
Also, they might take payment plan for you if they know you took the GP's in with a good heart but realise one is suffering. Even euthanasia for small animals can be pricey, unfortunately. It's not a needle to the forearm vein. Rabbits and GP's are gassed then have lethal injection to the heart ... I know because I had to gently let go of my suffering bunny a couple years ago. It's a hard thing to watch but it's the safest method for them. Rats and hamsters and things are simply gassed all the way.. Ask about it anyhow, it might make you more comfortable with the idea if that's the route you have to take.
Call your electricity supplier too and ask wth?! While you have a legal obligation to keep up on payments, they have a legal obligation to keep you heated!! lol
I understand your frustration. Hope you're okay today!!

#46 ·
Man I wish you lived in Ohio. I have an old country vet that I adore. I had a puppy I saved and I took him to him with no appointment and he checked him out and gave him wormer for free since it was an emergency. He only charges 35 to 55 dollars for euthanizing cats and dogs. He's a wonderful vet. It's to bad they all aren't like him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.