Betta Fish Forum banner

The sad tale of Panda and Creature the cavys

4K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I had Honey (white with black ear). Once we resolved her "allergic to pine" thing, she's been doing wonderful. Since I work nights I felt bad not giving her enough attention. I found an ad, saying they had 2 longhaired guinea pigs, and thought it was perfect!

they came, dropped them off, left.

I examined them as I do with any new animal. Both were terribly boney... Creature (the ginger/white) hurts when you touch her sides or belly... Both reeked so bad of stale urine and feces, both had mats, their nails yellowed, and both on their right hind foot have a sore.

I cleaned them up, got rid of mats, trimmed back some hair... Creature has a rash on her rump. Their feet cleared up very well, and they are on a very good meal plan..
Honey's weight is 1 pound, at a small boned 2 month state :)
Creature bigger boned: 1.4
Panda big boned: 1.9

List so far of possibles and a few definites:
UTI/bladder stones, ovarian cysts/pregnancy, bumblefoot, mats, underweight, vitamin c defficiency....

Panda (black and white with a ginger rump :3 ) will make a good recovery I believe, Creature I am terribly worried about. THIS is pure neglect. :mad: NOT a case of "we have allergies" it is a case of "we don't care for them". After I get them to a vet I'll report back about what's what, what can be done, and how severe Creature really is....
In the mean time, purty pictures, a few videos =D and the drawing I did up of what you cannot see, beneath that fluffy fur :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdq4n21MvHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBkjCsQa0g

EDIT: since last night (Panda 1.9 and Creature 1.4) they are for weight this morning: Panda: 1.7 and Creature 1.6 o.o

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
haha I know xD all you hear is the sound of filters and wheeking :3 I hope Creature pulls through. If she takes a drastic decline in this state, I literally believe she will have such a slim chance to make it. And then I'll be sad :( and then angry :mad:

#4 ·
Awwwww.... they are beyond cute. Who could mistreat animals like that? Grrrrr!!!

I'm glad they're with someone who cares about them and will get them healthy again.

Crossing fingers for Creature (you've got to give her a cuter name btw).

#5 ·
My friend had guinea pigs, but it turned out after a few months she was terribly allergic. So she had to give them to a rescue. The people who adopted them are great and e-mail her pictures!

#6 ·
>__> gosh darn. Do you have the people's contact of any sort by chance? If Creature didn't make it, or left you with some huge vet bills, I'd definitively ask the vet if you could report the previous owners for a case of animal cruelty. That's just ridiculous.
Must admit those guys are pretty adorable :D Wish my parents would let me have a furry, but after I was a bad pet owner when I was like 8, they don't trust me >_>

#7 ·
Unfortunately... I talked to the vet. it will cost me 70.00 JUST for a check up.

However, I explained her condition, and he said there is a chance her kidneys are failing :-( If they are, she'll be separated from Panda, as I will not have the money to put her down, and I will make her as comfortable as possible until I can pay for euthanasia, or she passes. :-(

THIS is why people should realize PETS DO HAVE A MEANING pets HAVE a life THEY FEEL PAIN they SHOW pain!

#9 ·
What can I do to make her comfy? I'll need to remove her from Panda because I know she cannot control her bladder right now anyways... Easier to clean.. I did not expect costs of euthanasia, so soon, so I don't have the ability to pay for that right now. I've heard of people letting their guineas go on their own with kidney failure, that it is rather peaceful... I want her to be comfortable :-(

#27 ·
I've heard of people letting their guineas go on their own with kidney failure, that it is rather peaceful... I want her to be comfortable :-(
I just wanted to let you know that its not always peaceful. In my experience it actually never is. I've had two pets, a young hedgehog and an elderly cat, die from kidney failure. The hedgehog was only three months old and had acute kidney failure. She was fine for two days after being diagnosed and then started having painful seizures every hour then they increased in frequency. My cat was elderly when she was diagnosed with kidney failure. She also had seizures but she only had them every few days to once a day at the worst. It's not always painless for the animal. Some of the statistics I found said that 1/3 of all animals with kidney failure will have seizures. That number would probably be higher in pocket pets since in cats and dogs the disease is easier to manage.

If I were you I would call the vet and ask if there would be a possible payment plan available. It could just be a UTI which is painful but fixable but without treatment will only get worse and can cause even more problems. I know it's expensive but it's important to figure out what's wrong now.

#10 ·
I don't really know anything about guinea pigs. Since they are friends though, the best thing I can suggest is to keep their cages close together still so Creature can still at least see her buddy. :(

#11 ·
UGH I'm so upset over this :cry::cry::cry: I only got them Friday... At least Panda likes Honey... But still. her best friend might die, and there's nothing to do.

worst of all, Creature stopped drinking water today. only a little bit was gone by tonight... most of it from Panda.

#12 ·
I feel so bad for you, Sena. You're going through so many losses lately :(
<3 at least Creature will be comfortable her last few days and not in some filthy cage with no one that cares.

#13 ·
I still feel bad though :( especially now I know the certain signs of "too far gone" and she is basically almost there. D: Why do people have to be so cruel?

#15 ·
heh that's true :) I should have known...especially when the ad said "2 longhaired female guinea pigs" and the description was blunt, short and emotionless basically. And sure enough 2 underweight guineas are at my doorstep in a large cage... She shouldn't even be 1.4 pounds... Honey is 1 pound! and half her size.

#16 ·
Guess they're just bigger boned.
They were probably some children's pet that the children got bored of them. Parents always think that they can get their kid a pet and the kid will be dedicated and they won't have to touch it. Most kids get bored of things really easily, common sense. -__-
If I ever have kids, they're not getting any pets that I won't be willing to care for.

#17 ·
They are bigger boned... But, they should also be fatter too then :lol: Panda is a big girl. I think she should be topping out 3-4 pounds, Creature at least 2.5-3. I think Honey might be the itty bitty baby who'll only ever be 1.5 pounds. I'm giving them alfalfa and farm hay, alfalfa blocks, lettuce, peppers, cilantro, baby carrots.... :) They literally snatch that food like they had been starved to death. And well considering the pellets I was given with them were stale, I highly doubt real food was given to them often. I feed it every day... along with pellets, unlimited hay and water. I did my research before, during AND after having these guineas.

but the thing is.. they lied. They said "because of allergies." No. because for it to take THAT long for them to be that weight, that condition, and that cage to be caked hard rock solid with fecal matter... more than "we bought them a week ago and found we were sick" no it's a "we didn't want to care for them then decided instead of dumping them at the pound we'll give them away to someone"

#18 ·
Awwwww. Don't people see!!! I wish they could experience being stuck in a cold wet filthy cage, with the smell of your own waste burning your nose and throat. It's so discusting. Your so right Olympia, most humans are not humane. I'm so sorry sena, at least she will know she was loved. Ps why must you separate them?

#19 · (Edited)
I want to separate them for hygenic reasons. Panda does have a sore on her foot (receeding) that I don't want infected. The amount of urine (bloody urine) that Creature is expelling literally has soaked the entire cage, and I cleaned it yesterday with fresh bedding, hay AND clean fleece. Plus, it'll be easier to monitor :-(

lots of sites are saying 10.00 for euthanasia bull load of bull. It really is more expensive.

#20 ·
That's sweet. My best friend's older sister has this totally neglected bunny rabbit named Chub-Chub. Her sister can't take care of anything alive, and she has horrible allergies to him. She tried contacting the local rabbit shelter but they never respond to her o-o I would take him in a heart beat if I could. I already cut his nails (the first time his nails had to be at least 3cm, his feet were all crooked from them) and everytime I go over I feed him veggies from the fridge and play with him.

#21 ·
Exactly... I understand, if you never knew you had allergies... or something comes up and you cannot afford a pet... by all means rehome to a good home or get the spca to do it for you... But don't lie and say "allergies" when really you mean "neglect" because you feel guilty.

I hope the people's conciences are eating away at them... because the depressed feeling I'm getting knowing my NEW pet will die in an hour...a day...a week... just never knowing, really does hurt.

#22 ·
If they just left them at your door and left, they obviously realized something was wrong. They just didn't care enough to change it soon enough, and now, thanks to them, a beautiful animal is left to suffer, after doing absolutely nothing but being born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#23 ·
My brother said I could give them to the pound saying they were abandoned. I couldn't even do that, to the pound. They are MY responsibility. And unless I cannot afford a bajillion dollars for them, I'll keep them to however bitter the end may be :-(

And truthfully, I really want to be there when she passes away... I don't want to come home to a dead guinea, or wake up to a dead guinea... I don't even know if the other guinea Panda would act like an alarm that there is something wrong. Some animals do...

#25 ·
Well the water was depleted already, the pellets were gone... so I refilled them... Both are eating the veggies still too. I'm trying not to handle Creature too much - just in case it really is painful for her.

#26 ·
I weighed them...
Panda is ALMOST 2 pounds, which is very very good. my goal for her is 2.5, and see what she is like then (I don't need to feel the ridges of every rib in her body!)
Creature, (to make it easy on me) is 0.754 kg, aka I think about 1.7 pounds, which is also good as before she was 1.4 when I got her, 1.6 yesterday morning, and now 1.7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.