Betta Fish Forum banner

Dropsy

Tags
dropsy
2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DarkMoon17 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm treating one of my females for dropsy(Blue to be exact). She's pineconed a bit and swollen and hasn't ate in a week. Right now I started her on eposm salt (1tbs/gal) with decholorinated water and oak leaf. I currently have her in a Qt cup on my desk with a bandanna around the sides and her lid on top to help her relax. Is there anything else I can do? Also what temp do you keep a betta with dropsy? Also is dropsy contagious? I had her in my sorority tank but soon took her out after she wouldn't come out to eat and was always hiding. My other females are fine(swimming around, eatting normal etc.) so just wondering if I should be worried. Also note I've only had her for a week or so, so there's a chance she had it before I got her.

I just realized I used tablespoon instead of teaspoon. So instead of 1 teaspoon of epolm salt I have her on 1 tablespoon. Is there anyway to dilute the water or do I have to drain the water and do it again?

Here's a picture sorry if the raised scales are hard to see:

See less See more
#2 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? Qt cup right now
What temperature is your tank? Room temp reading at 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? She won't eat I've tried every food I have ranging from frozen blood worms to guppy fry to pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I've tried everyday but still nothing

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She's pineconed and it seems like she's bloating as well.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays at the bottom unless she moves up to breathe
When did you start noticing the symptoms? She started pineconing last night but I wasn't able to get anything until today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i ahve started treating her with 1 tbs of Epolm salt with treated water and oak leaf
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know

#3 ·
Dropsy is a symptom not a disease itself...so it hard to say if it will cause problems for the other Bettas.....however, I would go ahead and start water changes on the display tank....depending on your water pram numbers and/or your water change schedule.....if you have been making regular weekly water changes and nitrate in under 20ppm...I would start with 50% daily for 2 days and then depending on the tank size, filtration, number of fish and live plants.....I would add an extra water only change for a couple of weeks...also lower your water temp to 76-77F to be safe for now...

The sick Betta.....pre-mix your Epsom salt 2tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water, add the tannins and use this water for the 100% daily water changes, maintain a water temp in the 76F area, hold food, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air warm and humid for her labyrinth organ....good luck...she may had been sick when you got her and then the added stress in the sorority could have compromised the immune response......keep us posted....hopefully she will pull through since you caught it and started treatment early...sadly once the pine-cone shows up the system may have started to shut down........if she seem to be suffering you need to do what is right by her...but don't give up too soon.....

#4 ·
If you want to turn her around you really need to treat her with real medicine in addition to epsom salt. My goldfish just recovered from dropsy after a round of Maracyn II combined with Epsom salt and 100% daily water changes. he looked worse than your girl when I started treatment but now he is almost 100% recovered. If you can get her to the point where she will eat something then you can soak her food in Metronidazole which is the most effective medicine for treating dropsy...

#5 ·
Where do you get Metronidazole? And so far she won't eat anything but I'm hoping she'll pull through. She is a very gorgeous girl that has a lot of potentical to be amazing.

Also Oldfishlady what do you do to put her to rest? Mostly what's the best thing to do to end her suffering painlessly?

#7 ·
The fastest and most humane way to euthanize is decapitation....sharp knife and fast, wrap in paper and toss in trash or bury in the garden/yard....

Some people can't do this...so the next best way is Clove oil overdose...you can usually find pure clove oil at pharmacy or Health food stores...

#9 ·
So much heartache in so little time. My hampster passed away just two days ago and I could do nothing to save her. She was severely inbred it seems and she had a difficult time walking but she was happy always eatting and acting like a normal hampster. I think she may of gotten some form of respitory illiness. She's in a better place now but I'll be damned if I let another one of my pets suffer like she did and I'll be damned if I have to look into another one of my pets eyes and know they're not gonna make it through the night. If it comes down to it then yes I will end her suffering in the fastest way possible. and as much as i'm read decapitation seems to be the fastest way. I just hope it doesn't come down to that.

#10 ·
You can get Metronidazole from your local vet. An exotics vet is more likely to be willing to sell it to you though. Just call and ask if you can buy 1-3 metronidazole tablets/capsules and tell them why you need it. They will probably think you are crazy but just be persistent.

Start her on Maracyn II (preferably combined with Maracyn I) with epsom and daily water changes... if that gets her feeling better then she will want to eat and then you can give her the Metro soaked food.

Personally, I would only use clove oil followed by alcohol... Clove oil numbs the fish, it doesn't actually put them to sleep so an overdose is not reliable. First, numb them up with clove oil, then when they are thouroghly "asleep" pour in alcohol (or some other fatal liquid). Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

#11 ·
Sorry to report that Blue passed away today. I woke up and she seemed fine and not even an hour later she was gone. Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.