Betta Fish Forum banner

Do I buy those fish?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  aemaki09 
#1 ·
This is my first post here, but I've been into fish for years. At the peak (15 years ago) I had 5 freshwater tanks, from 10 to 50 gallons, and 2 saltwater tanks. Now I only have three fish right now, all pets for the kids (teaching responsibility to four year old twins), and all from local chain stores, and they're veiltails.

Today I was cruising through a local store and saw a shelf label that said "Male crowntail betta" and they were going cheap. There were a couple crowntails there, but most of the fish on the shelf were male plakats. No doubt about it. I've wanted plakats for years, but never seen them in a store. Do I really need more fish? Well, it's probably not a need, but do I really want to pass up this chance to get a couple locally?

#3 ·
I can definitely afford the fish the equipment to properly house and care for them. I don't like to ship fish, so I either have to find them locally or do without. And I definitely want plakats. I've just never seen them on the shelf like that. It's strange to me, and I suspect that a breeder was probably dumping old breeding stock or something. They just look so good...

I just have to draw a line in the sand. This far, and no farther. I'll have no more than so many fish. Now I just need to set a reasonable number. Maybe an even dozen or so...

#6 ·
If you have the time to take care of them and the money to do it I say go get them!!

#7 ·
Yup, go for it.. Because if you don't and someone else picks them up, then you'll end up kicking yourself for not buying sooner.

#8 ·
As long as the cost is budgeted as a luxury (something after bills and important things. The bit of money you spend on yourself every month) and you aren't putting a strain on your money and time, I say go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Definitely worth you getting those boys then!
The rule I follow if I go in a store and see a boy or girl I absolutely cant get off my mind, I'll wait a couple of days minimum and then go back, if they still have them I know its meant to be, if not then it's probably good because I have zero extra space.

I really hope they are there when you go back though!!

#14 ·
I went back and the male I really wanted was gone. Without him, the female just didn't look so nice anymore. But it wasn't a total loss. I still came home with a TINY crowntail female. She is way too small to be in a pet store, as far as I'm concerned. And she just kept looking at me, like they always do, with those sad little eyes. You know the story. I'm now down $138, but I still got a nice looking fish. She should be great when she grows up.

#15 ·
Cool beans! Glad you found a lil' fishy that will keep you busy. Post pics when you can, we'd love to see this new addition.

#16 · (Edited)
She's a bit of a pain to photograph from the side. Every time I get near the tank, she turns to face me. That personality is a big part of why I bought her. And when she flared out a little, she looked great. She just needs to cooperate with me on the photography. Other than that, she's black, and needs a name. I'll have to think about that a bit.

#17 ·
Nice find! I have the same issue with my betta.. He'll flare at the camera as soon as i try and get a good shot. Probably thinks its competition. Lol

#18 ·
Awww what a cutie!

is that a hole in her tail or am I just seeing things?

#23 ·
Haha I figured I was seeing things.
She's a cutie! If you have a male stick him next to her tank and that should help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.