Betta Fish Forum banner

My grandma changed the filter....

998 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dukie1346 
#1 ·
I'm letting the tank cycle itself by just doing water changes about every 2 days with 10-20% each time to keep my 2 betta's from being too harmed, however, while I was at school, my grandma changed the filter pad to a new one. How much does that effect the cycle? Is it really bad it was changed? I've read you shouldn't touch the filter, but she did.

#2 ·
Yup bad. The beneficial bacteria builds up on the filter. switching it out starts the process all over again. tell gram to leave it alone lol.

#3 ·
So the whole month I had it was a waste?

#4 ·
Yup. you are cycling the filter,not the water. so pitching the filter,well that stops the cycle process. sorry.

#5 ·
Ugg, that bites. But I don't understand it- when the tabk is all cycled, what happens if you change the filter then?

#6 ·
You dont change it. You can swish it around in the bucket of tank water to clean it up. But you dont change it till it starts looking all nasty and falling apart. What most people do is get an extra filter sponge and keep two in the filter. that way theres always a new one and it wont mess up ya cycle.

#9 ·
Is there a sponge or a bio-wheel on the filter?
Do you have a water test kit? All may not be lost, some bacteria does grow on the gravel and decor, but I would continue with the water changes, if you do not have a water test kit to be safe.
Add an aquarium safe sponge and leave it in the filter. Only remove to clean in old tank water when it starts to look nasty.
Grandma was only trying to help. :(

#10 ·
I don't have a test kit---I'll just continue the 10%-20% water changes every 2 days then. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.