Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta having a hard time eating

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Jayy 
#1 ·
My betta Terrance is having a very hard time eating his pellets:-(. Now Mellow on the other hand can't get enough:roll:.So what can I do to help him?

#3 ·
What exactly do you mean having trouble? Are they too big? What type of pellets are you using?? I know some out there are ridiculously big! The 2 smallest ones I've found are Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and Topfin Color enhancing betta pellets, the topfin can even be eaten by the really tiny females petstores sometimes sell!

#10 ·
My last betta did that the first time I tried blood worms. He would come right up to my hand so I put some on my finger & he came right up & ate them!

I just got a CT & so far he isn't thrilled the either of the foods - Aqueon & Hikari. He spits them out & then will eat one or 2.

It doesn't look like they are too big for him although he is smaller than my last betta.

I don't want to try blood worms yet as I'm afraid he'll like them too much & then really won't like the pellets.

Sort of like my dog & her treats - she'd much rather have a treat than regular dog food!!

I'll try soaking them & see if that helps.

#11 ·
you need to soak them for around 30 seconds in a small cup of tank water. (some people use garlic juice.) Phin (R.I.P) and Seuss would both do the same thing yours does, and then i found out you have to soak them. now seuss eats them just fine, though some of the bigger ones he carries around the tank in his mouth for a little bit. : )

#16 ·
I do use pellets.He's not sick because he's swiming like crazy and he made a giant bubblenest. That he's STILL working on so I really don't think he's sick.

#19 ·
My betta wouldn't eat for the first couple days when I first got him, only spit out the pellets, then when he did eat he would spit them out about 5 times before eating them. Now he eats them on the first "try". He might be trying to soften the pellets up and then loses interest in them, or maybe he doesn't like them. You should probably try soaking your pellets like everyone else has said.

#21 ·
soaking just softens them a little so they're easier to eat. : )

#22 ·
Jayy you're welcome but you really shouldn't be thanking me because everyone else was saying the same thing ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.