Betta Fish Forum banner

Changing substrate

590 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Thunderloon 
#1 ·
Hey guys:

I was thinking about in the future (certainly after my aquarium is done cycling) about changing the rainbow gravel substrate that I have to maybe a blue or more natural lighter color substrate. How much damage would this cause to the bacteria? I realize that the majority of the Bacteria live in the filter and substrate, but would it throw my aquarium into shock?

Could I possibly change it and then put the old substrate in a stocking or something and suspend it on top of the new substrate to help with seeding? Any input welcome!!:)

#3 ·
If you take the existing substrate out in stages, it will transfer the load onto the filter and you won't have to worry about stalls. About a quarter of it every two days. Remember to HEAVILY siphon-sweep what you're removing, there are bacteria in it that will die when exposed to "high" light levels and they'll cause a spike.

I usually use a net to remove rock tho I have done 'live swaps' using a perforated ladel (like you'd use to lift out stew from broth) to lift out the large rock after the fluorite had been in with it for a month.

When you add in new substrate, use only about an inch thickness unless you're heavily planted. If you just have some plants in the corners then let them keep most their thickness.

The plants, if you have them, are the trick. Disturbing them can be bad for the tank. A plant is like a little sponge filter, so keep that in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.