Betta Fish Forum banner

Our new betta! What kind & male or female?

821 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Zappity 
#1 · (Edited)
I am so happy to introduce our FIRST family pet-my daughter who is 2 1/2 named him/her QRX (can you tell she is learning her alphabet LOL) Here are some pictures of him/her. We got him/her at our local pet store where they were in tiny bowls :( Broke my heart!
Can anyone tell me what kind it is as well as if it's a male or female!? Thanks!!

DSC_4705 by Photomama22, on Flickr

DSC_4699 by Photomama22, on Flickr

DSC_4697 by Photomama22, on Flickr

And this is his new home (We originally had him in a betta kit but thanks to this website I realized they need a filter & heater & more room then just a tiny container so this is him home..for now..until we get an even larger tank with more plants, etc! :)

DSC_4700 by Photomama22, on Flickr

See less See more
#4 ·
Exactly what Fleetfosh said! ^.^ I love Dalmations too! :D They're my absolute FAV!!!! Congrats on the new fish! ^.^ LOVE the way your tank looks. :)

#8 ·
It should be in the middle of the glass part in the front. At least that's where the indicator light is on mine, but I also have the larger version for up to 10 gallons.

You could try unplugging and plugging back in while you inspect it to find out where it is. Usually the light will come on when you first plug it back in to let you know it's still working.

#12 ·
Thank you!
I took it out and plugged it in-the light went on and it was very warm. Put it in the water and the light went out. So I guess the temp is fine??
Its funny bc the lady at the pet store they are low maintenance and resiliant to anything and would be an easy pet for a 2 1/2 year old and we are now finding they are more "work" and more fun then what we were told!

#13 ·
That means your temperature is ok.

Bettas can be resilient, they just have to be healthy first. And usually it's work getting them healthy again after being kept at a pet store in the cups.

My boy, Ratchet, is a testament to the turnaround they can make. Got him as a little, gray betta that didn't have the energy to swim in a quarter gallon of water. Now he's a mean blue copper that has to be isolated because of his aggression (was in a divided 10 gallon tank and started tail biting).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.