Betta Fish Forum banner

Won't swim to top, very lethargic, help?

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  MMad1121 
#1 ·
I started this in a different thread, but I think it might be more appropriate here now. I thought I was having problems with pH, but it turns out we were using aquarium salt too often. Yesterday we changed out 25% of the water, and the new water was aquarium salt-free. He appeared to gain a little energy for some time, and actually came up to eat. However today, he's back on the bottom, and seems to have a hard time coming up to eat. He sits on the bottom A LOT, which I know is ok if it is their normal behavior, but this is out of the ordinary for him. Sometimes he even rolls over a little, and it almost looks like he's dead.

Today we did another water change, and while he was in his cup, he was quite active. We were able to get him to eat also. He has now been moved to his original tank, which is smaller. My reason for doing this is that he seems to have trouble getting to the top, so I figured less water would help him with that. It is about 1.5g.

Housing
What size is your tank? Was in 2.5g when problems began. Has been moved to 1.5g.
What temperature is your tank? between 78-80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Crisps
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 5-6 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Top fin water conditioner (was adding aq. salt, but have stopped this)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Safe, according to color wheel
Nitrite: Unknown
Nitrate: Unknown
pH: >8.0
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Color Fade
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Severe lethargy, trouble swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? at least a week, maybe 2
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? daily 25% water changes, starting 1/2/13
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not really
How old is your fish (approximately)? Owned for ~1 year. Age unknown.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are pictures of him.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Are you seeing raised scales around his belly? What does his poop look like?

Have you stopped messing with the ph? Messing with the ph and causing lots of swings can kill him.

color wheels are pretty worthless, imho. I would invest in a drops kit for ammonia.

What kind of filter are you using? What happens when you turn it off for a while? Maybe the current is too strong.. his fins are very shredded and he is very stressed.. clamped/gray.

Make sure you are really careful and acclimate with water changes:

To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

#4 ·
No raised scales, they look normal. I don't see any poop at this time. I have stopped messing with the pH now, and he is also in a smaller tank now. He is still lethargic, but spends much less time on the bottom. Mostly he rests on his plants near the top and still has a decreased appetite. As far as the filter goes, the new tank is not filtered, so hopefully he'll have an easier time with it. I was worried that the filter was too strong for him. I hope he isn't dying because of something I did.

#5 ·
Possible dropsy?

OK we might be dealing with dropsy. He is not bloated. Fins are just slightly protruding. Is there still time? I'm going to the store to get erythromycin unless you recommend something else??

#6 ·
#7 ·
No I'm not 100% sure. But I've read so many things between this site and others. Some say that symptoms are not always obvious until its far too late. I know dropsy is defined by bloating and pineconing, but his scales are just barely sticking out. I looked at him from above, and it's just slight. (Sorry about saying fins before, meant scales but I was running out the door when I wrote that).

#8 ·
I ended up with maracyn II. I didn't get your post until just now, and our stores are closed. Can I try to treat with it?

#9 ·
Yeah if his scales are sticking out he needs to be in epsoms pronto. That is dropsy.

Minocyline will not help this and it is harsh. Just do epsoms for now.

#10 ·
Ok would you do a full change and put the Epsom in the new water?

#12 ·
Thank you Callistra. I'll keep this updated. I printed off the instructions you gave me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.