Betta Fish Forum banner

15g stocking questions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings all. I'm working with a 15G tall aquarium, with an Aquaclear 50 filter. I initially cycled my tank with 3 Silver Hatchetfish and a small African Dwarf Frog, and have since added 2 more Hatchets after I was done cycling.

It is non planted at the moment, with a fairly dense assortment of plastic ones. I intend to add in quite a bit of Java fern / Moss at some point.

My temp is generally around 75-78C, don't currently own a heater, plan on aquiring one soon.

I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out what I want to complete my stocking with... Aqadvice says with what I have now, I'm only at around 50% capacity with several times the filtration capacity I need.

Really wanting to get a nice spread of activity around the whole tank. Do Betta's like to go everywhere? Right now it's pretty boring with my hatchets dominating the top, and my frog hiding out of view at the bottom. Would be sweet if Betta's would hang out in the middle - bottom. Lol

I know I'm probably going to add in 1-2 more dwarf frogs, since I read that having multiple will encourage them to be more social, as my lone one hides 100% of the time the light is on.

Do you guys think I would have any success adding in some female Betta's to this set up? My knowledge about them is very limited, this is my first fish tank since I was a little kid and I didn't even have a betta back then. :p

See less See more
#2 ·
Bettas are an all-over sort of fish, but they may terrorise your hatchets, which are notoriously shy. If this is your first betta, I definitely wouldn't be considering a group of girls yet. That's called a sororit and has its own unique issues. :p

A really peaceful betta could work, but I would look at some alternatives first. What is your water like? Soft or hard? What is your pH? That will help us narrow down what tankmates are good for your tank as well as compatible with your curret inhabitants. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, sorry for the late response. Kinda forgot about this. :p

My PH is 7.6, I'm not sure about the water hardness thing. How do I determine that?

Decided against even attempting Betta's in the 15g, although I am heavily considering purchasing a 5 gallon Hex tank to put on my computer desk. :)

Still open to suggestions for stocking in my 15g. Since my original post I've only added 1 dwarf frog. (Which thankfully brought out the social nature in my first one like I hoped! It waslike my first one just slept and hid for 2 months before I got the 2nd one, now they're both all over the tank during the day displaying a lot of personality.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.