Betta Fish Forum banner

Video of my new tank

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  bettaowner101 
#1 ·
I haven't transferred my Betta yet. Doing that tomorrow (if below problem is fixed). I'm guessing he'll like the dark corner, under the shelf, shown at the end of the video.;)

The video is kinda long ... and enjoy the AudioSwap. :lol:

My only problem now is that the thermometer has been stuck at 82 degrees since I put it in the tank. If I take it out, it quickly drops, so I'm assuming it is working. I have had the heater set at 76, since I installed it. I finally turned the heater all the way down (to 62), at least a few hours ago, and the thermometer has finally dropped to 80. I'll see what it says in the morning, and turn the heater back on, if needed.

I'll let you know what happens with the water temperature. Let me know if you think there is too much "action" in the tank for a Betta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sOPUV0dtsI

#4 ·
@Lewis: Thanks! It's just a bubble bar and 10-13 gallon air pump from Petco...about $20 for the pair

@Ender: I thought the shelf turned out cool, too. It was just sitting on the bottom shelf, under the plants at Petco. This, and the fact that the design on the package looks like it was from the 80s, makes me wonder if they still stock the item or not. I don't think the bubble bar is creating much of a current. The main current is coming from the filter. The water is pretty calm above the shelf, but moving much more over by the filter. I'll keep a close eye on my Betta, when I put him in there this evening, to make sure he can make it to the top for air/eating OK.

#6 ·
Dang heater!

By the way, the temp had dropped to about 72 this morning, so I turned the heater back up to 76, and the water temp quickly went back up to 80. :frustrated:

This was even with the thermometer on the opposite end of the tank, by the filter. I moved the thermometer right next to the heater and it stayed at 80. So, I've turned the heater all the way down again. I'll check the temp when I get home from work this evening, and adjust the heater accordingly.

Sounds like I might have a faulty heater!? What do you think?

#8 ·
Is it a Petco heater? I had one and it did the exact same thing. Either 74 or 80 and I too was slamming my head into a wall. I had to switch to a visitherm stealth heater (thanks to suggestions from here) and it's awesome. I'd box it up and take it back.

I like the shelf. I think it's cool!

#10 ·
Thanks sandystar! Hopefully I can find him some tankmates to be happy with, too! :). I don't have another thermometer, but I think I might "borrow" the one from work tonight. It's digital, and they use the same one to monitor the temp of the fridge in the pharmacy, so it should tell me thd real temp.

@vaygirl: It came with the Aqueon Deluxe 10 gallon kit. I think that may be a petco brand?! If it's the thermometer, I guess they'll have to either give me one off the shelf or defect a whole kit.

@mecal: I hope you can find it @ petco. It was prettty dusty and the packaging looked old. I would think they'd clearance it, if they didn't carry it anymore.

#11 ·
Love it! That shelf thing is awesome!

#12 ·
I saw that shelf at our petco too! It looks cool

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, I finally got the temperature "stabilized." It's 82 on the digital thermometer and 80 on the one I bought at Petco, with the heater set to 72. :shake:

I did all of the proper acclimation, but when I finally released him into the 10 gallon, he started going crazy from the currents. First I shut off the bubble bar, but this didn't seem to help. So, I shut off the filter, which made the water completely still. Now, he is able and willing to swim around. He was flaring his gills at everything (not used to the plants/space/environment?). Now I have shut the light off and he is just swimming around like a maniac. (I'm pretty sure it's not "darting." I think he is just enjoying the space).

So....any suggestions from here? :dunno:

Obviously, I want the tank filtered. I can do without the bubble bar, and maybe just have a stone or two. Do undergravel filters make less current on the top of the water? If I remember correctly, there is one pole that sucks the water down and one that expels it? So, does it still create a current?

Thanks for your help!!

:yourock:

The shelf was $9.99.

I think I'm going to have to figure out if I want to return the aquarium kit and get an undergravel filter and better heater.

I wonder if they will let me keep the tank out of the kit and just return the other parts. I'm sure they can take a tank off the shelf and put it in the box. It would be the same as me returning the whole thing....

I dunno! Need some advice!

:frustrated:

...subscribing to post

#18 ·
Tango HATED his light when I first put him in the 16 with the hood. He'd been in a Tetra 1.5 cube with DIM led lights. He flipped out over the brightness. I put heavy watercolor paper under the light (3 pieces cut to fit and stacked) and made sure they didn't heat up. Then I pulled one piece out every couple days. Now he's fine. You could try a DIY baffle for the filter (there's a thread about them here somewhere) or give him some time. He may just mellow. It's all new to him.

#19 ·
When I woke up today, he was hanging out under the filter, trying to attack his reflection. :twisted:

I turned the filter back on, but he stayed under it, with his gills flared. So, I turned the bubble bar back on and he finally got outta there.

I left them both on all day. He would either get under the leaf of a plant to rest and stay in one spot, "lay" up against the corner opposite the filter (where the current would push him), or lay on the bottom, wrapped around one of the small plants. When I tried to feed him, it was difficult for him to eat his food, because it got moved around by the current too fast.

So, i set out on a trip to try and find something to block the current from the filter from part of the aquarium. I thought I might have to go to the hardware store and get a piece of plexiglass, but I actually found a solution at Petco. I bought a piece of glass that is supposed to be used as part of a lid (it's 2.5"x12"). I stuck that in the aquarium and successfully blocked off a corner for him to relax in. :welldone: (see picture)

He can still explore the rest of the aquarium, whenever he wants, but the current at the top of this area is almost completely still now, and he can eat without any problems. I may leave it, or I may try to take it out later...I'll see.

By the way, I'm rather upset at Petco! They have had their fish tank area closed off for about the past week, because they were redoing the floor (not sure if something had been leaking and ruined it, or what). Anyway, they had signs posted, stating that they would be selling fish again on Monday. So, I was excited to maybe get an addition to my tank while I was there today, but it's STILL closed. :redmad: I wanted to go buy fish elsewhere, just in protest, but I was too lazy to make the 20-block trek to The Fish Store...

Attachments

#20 ·
That was a clever idea! 20 blocks isn't too bad...you can do it! Lol.

#21 ·
I love the way you put gravel and plants on top of the ledge. Its a very nice tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.