Betta Fish Forum banner

What type of Betta is this?

1K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Arch 
#1 ·
Greetings people,

My dad just bought this Betta from the petstore for about $4.30. I'm suspecting
that he is a super delta? May I know what type of coloration is he too?

See less See more
#9 ·
Mustard gas is really just a bicolor in blue and yellow. He's a metallic, copper I think, bi color delta.

#11 ·
He is gorgeous! According to that link i'd say delta or super delta and either mustard gas or the chocolate, he is so similar to both of those. Have you decided on a name yet?

#20 ·
Not really. That's not how it works. You can't trademark a strain name in fish. You are taking this too seriously. I've read that article a million times and people will continue to call fish Mustard Gas. Not worth fighting because a breeder will never sue somebody over it and I'm not even sure that breeder is active.

#16 · (Edited)
Kinda like the Pink eyed white and albino strands in mice that people mixed up. Though neither is trademarked. A pink eyed white mouse is very commonly called an albino but this is not true as all pink eyed white mice is PEW's are NOT albino and most don't even carry the albino gene. Albino's and PEWS actually are both separate chromosome types. Albino's will only breed true albino's as it's a ressesive trait and you can't say you have an albino unless you can prove they are strictly only (c/c) WITHOUT this they are NOT albino. PEW themselves can carry any trate which is alarming. You could breed two PEW (none c/c's) and end up with augoti's or creams, you'll never know. They are what I consider a wild card variety. However it is agreed all albino's are PEW but not all PEW are albino's...if that makes sense. Now again there are also REW Ruby Eyed Whites which are ALSO not PEW as their genotype is ru/ru showing darker red eyes with pure white fur but again NOT albino's since they are not c/c genotype. Those are some fun genetic's from a studying mouse breeder xD. We have to study their genetics to breed them.

But still I assume it's the same with mustardgas. Unless you can prove they have x for genotype as the one developed from the original breeder than you can't prove it's not a bicolored. Though even then they have the name trademarked which on a genetic level seems strange to me but...okay. I mean if you name a certain genotype something than all fish sharing that same genotype are thus that color or yours are not truly that color either but the proper name for that genotype IE is say I had a mouse with a/a/d/d/p/p and called it Starling and trademarked it doesn't make it that color, my mouse is still only a silver and breeders wouldn't take me seriously if I called it otherwise as it's not show standard. My 2 cents. But still being that mouse breeders have to study hard into mouse genetics if color doesn't make sens on a genetic level the way it's organized by show standards then it's not accepted which makes it generally impossible to trademark 'varieties' in mice. It's either approved and everyone uses it or it's a combination of two existing genotypes and considered that. (banded dutch cross, dutch piblad cross, gremlin standard cross etc.)

Edit: Bad example on the hiding augoti as it shows 100% of the time, lets go with PEW can hide chocolate, black, cream instead xD)

#18 ·
Depending on if they had the same genotype as the mustard gas originally made then genetically yes they can. Just like my c/c or ru/ru and PEW has all kinds of crazy combo's. But if you bred down to ru/ru genotype in mice you get rubyeyed. Breed c/c you get albino. If mustargsas was say mg/mg (don't know the original MG genotype) and you breed mg/mg that only produced mg/mg then on a genetic level yes you made mustard gas. I think though this breeder has trademarked the name so even if you did make true MG's you can't call them that which then on a genetic level the original breeders fish are not MG either, just a fancy name for their fish but in all reality they could be something else someone else already discovered years before...on a genetic level. Perhaps someone theoretically created a color called...toxic and the genetype was mg/mg and the breeder of mustad gases got this mg/mg and called it mustard gas but the fish are still in all reality only Toxics.

#19 ·
Perhaps I am way off-base here, but he looks more like a roundtail to me. I always thought of the Deltas and Super Deltas as having a much longer caudal fin.

As for the color, I am seeing something more akin to a butterfly or multicolor -- I can see clear yellow, light turquoise, and what looks almost like black. Lovely fish!

re: Mustard Gas...the color pattern itself I doubt could be trademarked, per se. It's the name for the color pattern that might be trademarked. I am not sure why anyone would want to trademark the coloration patterns of a beautiful animal named after a horrible biological weapon.

#21 ·
Or, who owns the rights to a "butterfly" pattern? Or the "chocolate".. I am not arguing over the mustard gas because when I get mine I will call it a mg regardless of who "owns" the rights to the name of the color. idk.
I enjoyed reading your mouse analogy LV!! I did not know albinos could only rear albinos. I used to keep multiple mice and I remember my PEW Reuben. <3

#22 ·
Gorgeous guy!

#24 ·
I don't see why it shouldn't it shows the phenotype therefore it would be considered albino.

#26 ·
Thank you guys for your support :)

Wow this thread has turned into like discussion on "Mustard Gas", genotypes and etc. Didn't know that one pattern/color of a Betta fish can have so much history or controversies behind it. I thought that it looks like the color mustard hence it's name "Mustard Gas".

Haha i still remember some dude in this forum says about putting "Mustard" beside Mustard in the fridge.
Q: "Where's the Mustard?"
A: "Beside Mustard". lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.