Betta Fish Forum banner

feeding my fish

898 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Sarada 
#1 ·
i feed my fish around 5 pellets each once a day, every other day, which is what the pet store recommended. the instructions say to feed them only what they can eat in a few minutes... which should i follow if they eat the pellets in less than a few mins.?

#2 ·
I guess I will be the first one to answer. The first thing you have to know is that Betta’s don’t have very large stomachs, about the size of their eye, so overfeeding can be a problem. Also, they’re little pigs and will eat if you keeping put food in the tank. So somewhere between 4 and 6 is good (I’m pretty sure that’s right, anyone want to correct me on this?) I feed mine twice a day to keep him from getting bloated, and most people fast their Betta once a week to let his digestion system clear out. I feed mine every day, right around 6 pellets. But I just the Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits, and the bits are pretty small, a couple of millimeters in length. What do you feed your Betta? It really depends on the food how much you should feed them.
Hope this helps,
Williamg

#5 ·
What ever you feed, 3 once a day will do. Feed 1 or 2 as a snack after feeding is fine. Fast your betta once a week. Some times, I feed 4 once a day.

#9 ·
No. Most people feed their bettas M-T-W-Th-F-Sat/Sun. Skipping one day out of the week to fast the bettas. If you are going to feed him every other day, you will need to keep a close eye on him to make sure he is eating enough. You also won't need to fast him, but fasting is never a big issue or that difficult. Personally, I would recommend feeding him everyday except one (to fast of course)
Williamg

#10 ·
hm, that is what they recommended at the pet store so they do not crap so much and the water stays cleaner. it seems like my goldfish are doing fine. does anybody else do this? why would you recommend every day? this won't kill him if i keep on doing it this way, will it? are goldfish and bettas the same in the feeding process (i guess besides the fast-day...)?

#11 ·
You cannot feed your betta every other day. Unless he is bloated / having SBD, then you feed him every other day. Sorry, I speak in a blunt way. Can you eat only every other day? It wont kill you wont it? Same thing. They will be hungry, not enough nutrition. Fasting it a day gives the betta to clear all the unwanted food out. But right after the fasting day, you have to feed. Im not sure for the gold fish part, as I only keep bettas.

Pardon me for the crude way of speaking. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.