Betta Fish Forum banner

stupid pet stores!

10K views 195 replies 55 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Once I went to this pet store called plano pets (I think). I was just browsing, looking at all the diferent fish when I saw the bettas (in shock).:shock: They where in such small cups that you could not even stick your hole hand in there! I had seen bettas in this small of cups befor but never this dirty. The water had food and poop floting around in it!:blink:There were sevrel dead and some half dead, some with pale colores, and some CTs that could barley turn around! Poor fish.:cry: (they have lives to you know) The pet people who work there are really not educated. And I saw one of the workers grab a dead fish out of a tank with his BEAR HANDS. (GAG!):sick: What are these stores thinking? That they can just go around telling people rong info. about animlas and have people just not notice?:roll: (In there dreams) Gosh, some people just don't have respect for animals. It's just sad.:-?

Pleas tell any pet store stories you have to tell!:-D

(Random fact: snails come from rocks!:shock:)

#3 ·
once i went to petsmart an foun TWELVE dead bettas =(

#4 ·
Once I went to my local pet store,
and there were like three hundred feeder fish in one tank,
with a bare bottom, nothing.
The tank was dirty, and there were like, thirty fish stuck in the filter.
Some dead, and others half stuck in, and still alive.
Even though there feeder fish, doesnt mean that they have no worth.
It was absolutely disgusting.
I actually found Pickle in the very back of the bettas, he looked so stressed out and was flaring at the fish beside him.
In some weird ways, Pickle was a lucky fish because he wasnt kept in those itty bitty plastic dixie cups, we was rather in a jar the size of a -extra- large baseball.
The store has nice fish and all, they just dont take proper care of them.
>8K

#38 ·
thats what my local petco is like that I do dog adoptions outside of. The thing i don't get is why they support rescuing dogs and not getting them from stores and breeders, but then they have their fish in TERRIBLE CONDITIONS!!!! uggggg

#5 ·
It's so disgusting the way pet stores take care of the fish. I often come to places where they treat them in the most disgusting way. Just today I was at a pet store where the majority of them were in small jars, about the size of a tennis ball with an open top. I think the fish would have been happier jumping out and dying.
There was zero heating in any of them, and since the fish were at the back of the store and it was crowded, I quickly snuck a thermometer from a sample aquarium and it was just 68 degrees! I knew the fish were all going to die soon, and I told the shopkeeper, and he said, "ridiculous! they're perfectly healthy!".
He then told me that the name 'fighting fish' came from a MYTH and put TWO MALES in a three gallon tank together. I was so appalled, and I told him off for a while. Then he said, "young lady, you have the facts all wrong, come back later and see them peacefully living together. By now I was so angry I could punch him (I should have), but I stormed out, telling every employee how WRONG their co-worker was.
When I came back about five hours later, the stupid buffoon was re-arranging some other things, and I told a worker who hadn't been there before about the whole thing, and she got really upset and we went to see the fish to find a dead fish and one who was battered and lying on the bottom of the tank, occasionally making a helpless little flail. I wrote to the company about the whole thing and told them how angry they were, and I'm waiting for a reply.

#6 ·
Wow Trex that has got to be one of the stupidest people I have heard of. By the way is that your fish in your Avitar? If so he is awsome.

#8 ·
once at a pet store (i think petsmart) years ago i looked into the tree frog tank and some of the frogs had died close to the heat lamp- which was way too close to the tank- and had been cooked where they lay and dried to husks. apparently no one had looked in on them for quite a while. i called the closest employee and told them that not only were there dead frogs in the case but they clearly had been there a long time- days maybe. this employee seemed horrified but didn't know how it had happened. they seemed understaffed. was no one feeding these frogs? did they think removing dead ones before they rotted wasn't part of the job? also that heat lamp was waaaay too close- practically touching the mesh. probably cooked them alive V_V

#9 ·
Thankfully I haven't seen anything smaller than the little 4 square boxes put together. However, one of the places I went to had some very lethargic fish, and their CT's looked so bad :( And the 'storage containers' were all brown. Disgusting for 'proper' fish stores. The best I've seen were giant vases, and while they weren't heated or filtered, the bettas looked amazing!

I just wish I could find a female around here that wasn't all a gross brown colour. (Seriously have been to 7 shops, and only one stocked females! And they looked sick, and were brown!)

#10 ·
pet stores can be atrocious, i wrote to petsmart corporate on monday, informing them of an employee of theirs who completely uncaring, unknowledgeable and not to mention rude.

i went to get a few oto's and corys for a few of my tanks. she catches 3 corys in the net, i want 2, and so she squishes he net back into the tank to get one of them out. she puts the two in the container and i ask her to look at them, she says, "theres only 2 now, isnt that what you wanted? whats the problem?" i said, i wanted to check how they looked now. so i also had her get 3 oto's and of course she scooped too many and squished the net again to get out the extras. i again looked in the container. now shes looking at me all pissed off like. i look again at the corys and one of his barbels was now missing and looked bruised. i told her now i didnt want them, i thought she was gonna freak out right there, so i loudly explained WHY i didnt want them, what SHE did wrong in handling them, as well as how she was rude. she just yelled back, fine whatever.

she was a real joy .........petsmart wrote me back saying they would look into it and write me back and thanks for informing them.......

we'll see what happens. and i swear the next time i go in there, if she tries to wait on me, im going to say LOUDLY< "no, ill wait for another employee, you dont know how to handle the fish or even care to know how"

pet stores get me so pissy........i have such fond memories when my parents owned a petstore in the 80's. we took great pride in taking the best care of ALL animals and fish. i remember my mom would only get like 6 bettas in at a time because she wanted them in real tanks until they were sold, not cups. bettas in cups, it make me sick to think about it!

sorry for the rant

#12 ·
Wal-Mart is the worst about fish!! Many things i've seen wrong with they're ways of "care"
First off they had 8 spotted puffer fish in their small aquariums, looks like maybe 5-6 gallon aquarium? Most of them if not all had practically no fins at all.. poor puffers.. Algae growing all up the walls on most tanks, and some just had filthy filthy water!! Nobody even tends to them, I felt bad for some of the glo fish and waited for a while to buy some but nobody ever came to my attention!! they were nibbling on a dead fish.. I told one lady that the puffers were in completly horrible housing and she said they'll sell soon, its okay. I was astonished to say the least but what should i expect.. My local petco is awesome with their fish. Petsmart is decent, there is one lady who is very knowledgable and cares about all the fish. some of the others arent so great.. I'll end my rant here.. :shock:

#13 ·
yeah pet stores can be real stupid. once Lync was spitting out his food, and the dude there said that I had to only feed him once a week had I not confronted you awsome people on hwo much I was supposed to feed my buddy Lync. Had Ilistened to him I would be way under feeding him. Also, the females were getting way less water then the males!!! I mean are the males better than the females. Well I for one am not sexest (or however you spell it) to females, and I think the females should get as much water as the males.

But the good thing about petsmart, is the workers are super nice. and the fish there are always healthy, and there is always someone on duty cleaning. Also they handle their fish with care, and gentleness.

#14 ·
But don't get me started on our wal*CRAP, and how bad they treat their fish. I mean one time I wanted a dragon fish, and it took my mom ,and I an hour to get some STUPID CRAPY SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
Dragon fish? Never heard of those before.

#18 ·
What are they? :p

#19 ·
This is one I don't think they are pretty at all but some people like them.

#20 ·
Ooooh! Those are cute! Now I want one...

Is it some type of goby? I kept googling dragon fish and ended up getting something like a viper fish, LOL. I'm pretty sure they can't sell those. :p

#23 ·
Haha, it's really cute though. I didn't know they sold those types of fish at walmart. The ones here don't even sell fish, but the one in Windsor where I used to live just sold feeder fish, goldfish, and such.

#24 ·
once i went to walmart and asked them about how much they fed their fish THEYH DIDNT EVEN KNOW THEY HAD FISH!!! they had special automatic food despencers and the water was green literally and dont even get me started on the bettas half of them were bloated then a couple were dead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.