Betta Fish Forum banner

Anyone else's fish make TWO or more nests?

994 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Today I came home and found that Sam had started on a 2nd nest.
Does anyone else's fish do this?
Is he lonely or something?
Two big thick frothy nests.

And one of them is right in the corner under the cut-out where I drop his pellets!:|
Have to start taking the lid off again :lol:

#2 ·
When mine make nests they'll either keep going with the one that they've made or start another. They have such amazing personalities. :) What he's doing is natural and normal. They'll make bubblenests when they're ready to breed. This doesn't mean that you have to breed them, it doesn't hurt him he's just answering natures call.lol

#3 ·
Mine will make bubble nests in different areas. I don't think it has anything to do with them being lonely... I'm not convinced bettas have the capacity for that emotion. Bubblenesting is really just instinctive... he may feel that the first bubblenest is finished and want to start another.

#4 ·
The nest may have gotten separated, If you need to move the nest, all I do is place a cut Styrofoam cup over it and slowly move it and the bubbles aside just a tad, My males all follow along wherever I move it,

#6 ·
Thanks guys and good tip on moving the nest I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to.
I feel bad when I do his water change because the nests get destroyed, all his hard work down the drain poor little guy. But after the water change he's back at it again so it's okay.

here's a photo of the artwork!

#8 ·
xxabc do you have any live plants? mine really started to make nests after i put all the plants in there. Even when I had one pathetic clump of drying grass he made a nest near it. Then that grass died so I had the fake plant in there for a couple weeks which was actually more fluffy and larger than the grass had been, but he was like WTF is this. Then I put the live plants in there and now he always makes nests.

#9 ·
Haha even if I did, he wouldn't, the HOB filter I use makes the top-water really agitated. He's made one before, but it got destroyed so fast, he didn't make it afterwards. (Don't worry, the current it fine). At least I don't have to deal with destroying the nest? Haha, just kidding. Have fun with the nest :)

#10 ·
Aw yeah they like still water.
I had this silly little pump thing in my aquarium for a while, came with the aquarium, basically it just made bubbles. But he didn't start making nests till after I took that thing out.

Now the water is still, but mind you, I'm unfiltered, so I have to change 100% every week :p :p I've gotten use to doing it though.

But I guess eventually the water change or the filter will get the nest anyhow.

#12 ·
I feel bad when I do his water change because the nests get destroyed
I never destroy any of by betta's nest when I do a water change, That is one reason a split Styrofoam cup works so good. helps keep the nest in one place plus the benefit of being able to move it if need be.... Siphon the water from the bottom and replace it in a slow steam as far away from the nest as possible,. I've even had to do waterchanges during incubation periods and never had any troubles, The male just ignores me and continues on his busy task of tending the nest, First time I moved the nest the male was incubating, It just made me snicker the way he never faltered in his work and following the nest to wherever I put it.

#13 ·
My bruiser makes a new nest or adds to his nest everyday! His look even bigger than the one in the picture, geuss the lil guy is ready!! I have a 2.5 tank with two small live plants and I plug in the filter for 1 1/2 to 2 hours every night and the water seems to stay cleaner than before. I am new to the site and am very happy to have found it, good folks and great fish!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.