Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #3581 
Rana

I got sucked in again! My last two babies grew up and I had an empty tank lying around, so when I stopped by the store to replace my heater I just had to check out the bettas.

My Petco had the babies separated by sex, which surprised me since isn't the mystery half the fun? But they all looked older as well, so maybe it's just this particular supplier.

Anyway, here's my new baby! Sold as a baby boy, I haven't gotten around to checking for ovaries so I'm not 100% sure but male seems likely. It looks like he might have multiple ray branches, which would be cool since my last babies were both VT. And he's a lovely silvery color now, I'm looking forward to seeing how much color he gains as he grows.
Attached Images

Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #3582 
peasorama

Took a water sample from my 5-gallon tank to have it tested to see how my cycle was doing (and happy to report it passed with flying colors!) and couldn't resist taking a peek at the Betta Lounge where I was stunned to see "Baby Bettas"....and I couldn't leave this fella behind....he was marked a male anyways, but nothing else...
Here's a picture. Would love to hear any ideas about what sort he may be...
He's in a small set up for now, but will treat him to either a 5- or 10-gallon set up very soon. Currently he looks like SeaBiscuit did (but way more teeny tiny), so I'm looking forward to his colors coming in.
Attached Images

peasorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #3583 
peasorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I got sucked in again! My last two babies grew up and I had an empty tank lying around, so when I stopped by the store to replace my heater I just had to check out the bettas.

My Petco had the babies separated by sex, which surprised me since isn't the mystery half the fun? But they all looked older as well, so maybe it's just this particular supplier.

Anyway, here's my new baby! Sold as a baby boy, I haven't gotten around to checking for ovaries so I'm not 100% sure but male seems likely. It looks like he might have multiple ray branches, which would be cool since my last babies were both VT. And he's a lovely silvery color now, I'm looking forward to seeing how much color he gains as he grows.
Congrats on your new addition Rana! Loved that we both brought home new baby bettas today. While I don't normally make impulse purchases, somehow I couldn't leave without this little fella. No name yet. After doing some research I'm a little concerned about getting as attached as I am to my first buddy SeaBiscuit. I'm going to pick up some live food for "him" tomorrow to better his chances. Congrats again!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #3584 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Rana, definitely a little boy you have there ^_^

And peasorama, that's a little girl
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #3585 
peasorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Rana, definitely a little boy you have there ^_^

And peasorama, that's a little girl
Oh Gosh, really!? That's okay too! Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #3586 
naturesactress

Just bought a baby boy two days ago. His colors were very dull and grey when I bought him, but I was thrilled to wake up today to how he looks in the picture below! I named him Seichō--the japanese word for "to grow".
Attached Images

naturesactress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #3587 
naturesactress

Here's another picture that I meant to attach with my last post...
Attached Images

naturesactress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #3588 
peasorama

Very sad news. Turned on my new 10-gallon low tech planted tank that I set up for my new baby girl & was waiting for to come out from the hornwart she liked to sleep in do I could feed her some live brine shrimp and...she wasn't there! I did a 25% water change (the driftwood is still making the water a little cloudy) thinking that would bring her out of hiding...still not there. Finally I decide to look on the floor....it has a cover but I had to look somewhere & I finally found her. She's so tiny I'm amazed I found her. She must've jumped out of the small space open near the filter? Now I have this beautiful $200 tank set up (for a $2.00 fish) and I couldn't keep her safe. Sad day.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #3589 
Zippy2014

I don't know about Petco but I've seen some really small Betta at Petsmart. I have no idea and no way to judge how old they were. There's no point in asking people working there because they really don't know much either. I've seen them as small as about 1 inch long. My newest betta isn't much bigger than that.
Zippy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #3590 
Elleth

Well, I picked up two baby bettas on Friday, instead of going to see the new Avenger movie. Lol! I think it's definitely worth it, although I still really want to watch the movie.

They were labeled gender-wise, but I'm positive the one that was labeled a "boy" is a girl (I've seen her ovaries) and I'm 90% sure that the one labeled a "girl" is a boy. They're currently sharing a 6 gallon long, divided tank.

Well, without further ado, here are Merry and Pippin!

Pippin, the girl. I'm hoping she'll be a steel, she looks like she might be now:

And Merry, the boy. He's a Cambodian crowntail.

Aren't they too cute? I'm so glad we went to Petco on their betta shipment day. Got these little babies before they were even on the shelf a full day.
Elleth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, baby betta care, baby betta photos, cuteness overload, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta