Betta Fish Forum banner

Gill colors

657 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kiara1125 
#1 ·
So I've noticed some of my Betta have different coloration on their gills that look unusual. One of my albino yellows has clear white at his gill ends, one of the females in the community tank has red stripes on her gills.

Do those mean ammonia poisoning/bacterial infection or do some Betta simply have different colored gills? Ammonia readings are 0 or close to 0 every week I read them and I see no other symptoms of a bacterial infection in the community tank which is why I didn't want to jump the gun and treat the entire tank.

Also what are your experiences with Betta gill colors? Have you seen an unusual color that wasn't caused by something bad?

#2 ·
As long as they've had the color since you got them I don't think it's an issue, ammonia burns are usually pink so I doubt that's the issue. My white one had dark purple gills and my blue one had red gills so I doubt it's bad.

#3 ·
Are you talking about the actual gill colors or the beard? All of my bettas have gills that vary from dark red to bright red, no stripes at all.

#5 ·
Oh, most of the gill plates I've seen are metallic. I've found that if a betta has iridescence then they tend to be healthy. So, I've never noticed anything but metallic silver or blue/green on the gill plates of my bettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.