Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta has a growth

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! My little guy Sushi has been in my care for 3 months now and I have adopted him from walmart. :) I originally got him while he was sick, but I fell in love so I nursed him back to health. However for about 2 weeks how I have noticed this bubble like lump growing on the right side of his dorsal fin. It is slightly pink due to his coloration and white. It does not look fuzzy or anything,I think it might just be a build up of cells???? He is acting perfectly normal so I am not too worried. I am just more curious about what it could be and want to know if it can get him sick. Thanks!

Also one other question I have is, even though my betta seems to be healthy I noticed his full body is still not fully purple, the rest is still a deep brown. Is that just his coloration?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetrabetta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Wed: 50% Sat: 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe, Maracyn plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? newly formed lump
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? maracyn plus on the 1st, 3rd and 5th day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year

I know it is hard to see, it is only really noticeble at an angle :c

See less See more
#2 ·
I know the first two images weren't the best but I just got two better pictures today. It seems it has grown slightly more. :c I looked up Lymphocystis and the growth does not look like calliflower. He is still acting normal, but what is this????? D:

#3 ·
awww poor boy. D= mine has a white spot on the side of his body and I think it might be lymphocystis. maybe try looking up that and see if it's the same thing. =(

here is what my boys lump looks like. the white spot next to his tail fin:
http://treekami.deviantart.com/art/Beauty-Mark-409968483

#6 ·
Many people say you can do nothing for the growth and hope that the fish's immune system will take care of it. =( but lets hope it is not that what your boy has.

and thanks! <3

#5 ·
It does look like it's an internal issue, and not a parasite or fungus. At this point, it's probably best to just watch it like a hawk for any changes, or see if any other lumps appear.

Make sure his water is very very clean, add some live plants if you can, and make sure he has high quality food, with the occasional live or frozen brine shrimp/bloodworm treat. A well-nourished fish in clean water is more likely to fight any type of illness or abnormality.

Good luck!!

Reactions: Hallyx
#7 ·
Update: I was gone for about an hour and a half and noticed that his growth has magically shrunk to half its size or even a little more. o_o I am guessing that is a good sign? Maybe it was a pimple?? xD

#8 ·
that's Great! 8D

#9 ·
update: I just got home for Christmas break from college and have been away from sushi for about a week and I noticed the "pimple" is growing again. I still have yet to figure out what it is. Any suggestions?

#10 ·
D= it's stressful when you have no idea what is wrong. T^T i hope you figure this out.

#11 · (Edited)
Your general care seems quite good. May I suggest you upgrade to Prime water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia. Especially important in small tanks. I don't think BettaSafe has this capability. Unless the Maracyn is effective, it's not a good idea to use it routinely; just for treatment.

Indian Almond Leaf (IAL) is sometime effective treatment for fin and scale problems

As an aid to his immune system feeding high-quality pellets is vital. New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One Betta Buffet are upgrades from TetraBetta flakes.

#12 ·
I have no money though and I stopped treating him with other medications. I still can't figure it out, I am just assuming it is a pimple. But I have had him ever since August and this lump has only formed within the past month at most.

#13 ·
My Yankee developed a lump on both sides of his body just in front of his tail. I have asked several experienced betta keepers and got the answer that bettas develop all sorts of lumps. Like your guy there is no change in his activity since several months have gone by so I just watch it.

#15 ·

I just took this picture today and this is what it looks like under a light. It is now more white and is approx. the same size it was about a month ago. Can anyone help me figure out what this is?

#20 ·
What is salt going to do??

#21 ·
IAL is Indian Almond Leaf. A large, leathery leaf of the Almond tree. When put into a tank, it slowly degrades and releases tannins which turn the water the color of weak tea. They are said to have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, as well as calming and general health-promoting. Tannins also lower pH --- a little or a lot depending on water hardness.

And much gentler and less harmful than salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.